Current state of FOC?

I’ve been running 6s FOC sensored on one of your July 2016 vescs with your 6355 motor. So far it’s run great, and I’m planning on upping it to 12s in a few days. Can you for-see me having any problems with that?

1 Like

Thanks for the inputs. Seems like it’d be alright to use, but I’ll give it a try when I get a spare VESC in my hands. Can’t risk burning this one.

Running noise less at low speeds is great for campus riding, but not necessary.

1 Like

Welp, just tried out some FOC on my 10s 230kv board with @chaka VESCs and it starts stuttering at 47k eRPM and throws an overcurrent fault

Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT Current : 269.9 Current filtered : 130.8 Voltage : 31.28 Duty : 0.79 RPM : 47556.9 Tacho : 28178 Cycles running : 14 TIM duty : 6595 TIM val samp : 5 TIM current samp : 8398 TIM top : 8400 Comm step : 0 Temperature : 32.23

Gonna stop trying before I burn my DRV. Guess FOC is a no go on this board.

1 Like

damn dude did you get ejected from board ?

No this was bench testing. I don’t ride unless I’m sure it works fine on bench.

i should have bench tested, i went straight for a ride and got ejected! XD my motor max is too high though i think… this time i had protection lol

I think I’ll only ever use FOC on hubs on VESC4’s given the drastically lower eRPM.

@Jinra what setup are you going to run against the Raptor 2? Your current setup is always the most reliable, bad things usually happen with cars (I work in a performance car shop) everybody always want to tweek settings to the max before a drag race and those are the ones that first fail on the road, you don’t want to experiment that with your board on a public race.

I’d up the VESC settings and beat the shit out of the board riding it for at least 1 full day, then, if everything works perfect, I’ll set up the race.

I changed it back to BLDC, just thought i’d see how FOC works, but I guess it doesn’t… at least on my setup. I’m pretty sure I set everything up right.

I’m 10s 230kv BLDC running hybrid sensors. One of the mini-usb ports on my Ollin VESC broke off, so I had to replace one of them with an Axle VESC. Other than that the only change I made was upping the max current ramp setup another .02 to .1 now.

FOC detection can be difficult on smaller diameter motors. The bldc tools can sometimes give the wrong settings by reading the resistance incorrectly.

I ran detection on 6355’s. Did it a couple times as well to make sure the discrepancy wasn’t too drastic.

Like I said it is hit or miss. I have found that with the correct settings FOC will work fine with most motors. Finding the correct settings with detection alone can be difficult.

Aw well, guess it wasn’t meant to be then.

15/36 pulleys on 97mm ABECs?

Yes, but they weren’t on when I was testing.

I’m pretty sure you will beat the Raptor 2

I honestly dont know… I’ve seen vids on youtube and everything and I’m not sure mine accelerates as fast; especially against the performance in this video. Guess we’ll find out… haha

Can you add 8 more cells for a 12S setup before the match? Just limit ERPM for the 230kv motor.

The enclosure’s already packed tight. Also, my DRV will likely burn at 12s 230kv.

Didn’t you just tell me not to fiddle with my board before a match haha

Yeah, but damn! I would love to see you beating the Raptor 2, even though I have one on order