Custom 3D-printed enclosure

Very cool, I also am working on a 3d printed enclosure (Not nearly as well designed). I solved the delamination issue with some ABS sludge on the heated bed, (mix of acetone and ABS filament). Magnets are very cool solution to mounting. Currently I am using threaded inserts that are used in furniture but I have no idea how long those will last. Do you plan to connect the two boxes with wires across the board or are you routing them a la boosted board style? My first enclosure had two 10 AWG wires that ran down it and I hated it, so I am just hoping that the ABS is flexible enough to bend as one box instead of two.

Here is the first generation, looking to reprint when I extend my 3d printer to a 300x200mm build size.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t decided how I will route the wires between the battery and VESC. I have just made extensions to my box so if I need more space I can just print another one. Also, if the deck bends, the top of the boxes can open a little bit.Note that no components will be fixed to the enclosure, everything is stuck to the deck itself. See below for diagram.

As for material, I have printed it using PETG which is fusing each layer very well and it doesnā€™t have the shrinkage issue of ABS.

3 Likes

Yea my deck flexes a bit too and the middle does seem to split if I stand on the middle of it. I have been toying with the idea of making a single enclosure with two halves that are connected with some flexible rubber so that the very middle of the enclosure is flexible yet still watertight.

Thatā€™s a nice enclosure! I designed something similar in 123d and am working on a F360 versionā€¦ This is very well done. How long have you been modeling?

hey @JLabs thanks, I am new to modeling. Have designed only small items so far, but watching a lot of youtube videos and trying a lot of stuff. I guess Fusion 360 really made sense for me so thatā€™s what Iā€™m using. And itā€™s free :slight_smile:

Still my biggest question is how to attach this to the deck. I think Iā€™ll use 6-32 brass wood inserts. But I need to modify this design so that if I want to add more of the middle sections the holes will continue to line up. But I have printed already what you see there and Iā€™m lazy to do all the calculations for thisā€¦but I think Iā€™ll have to do it so that I only have to drill the deck once and at regular spacingā€¦

I used shoulder head cap acres, they are flush with the deck and I have nuts on the other side of the enclosure

Although it is nice to have threaded inserts on one side, from my experience go with the T-nuts like JLab uses, brass sheers really easily and when screwing mine in about half of them snapped and they almost go through the thickness of the board anyways.

thanks @JLabs and @jakobnator. I have no experience with inserts but if they are not enough then the T-nuts are my next choice

Leo

Continued at my build topic http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/untitled-sector-9-faultline-torqueboards-trucks-tb-motor-230kv-torqueboards-v4-mount-6s-vesc/3085

Good job on the 3-D printed enclosure. Doing it in sections so it will flex a little as well as being able to lengthen it in the future is a great idea. You could also add some sort of O-ring or rubber gasket to keep water out. I want to do something very similar for my build. How long does it take you to print the enclosure?

I have been also looking for a solution for fastening enclosure to the bottom of the board. I was thinking of the ā€œDZUSā€ fastener. They are used for quick panel access in racing applications like motorcycles, airplanes, etc. No tools necessary. Just a spring loaded knob. I provided a link below.

http://www.southco.com/en-us/d9

Any chance you could share the file so i can print it? My design looks like crap :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, that would be really nice to pop that baby open quickly.

Hey man, that looks awesome! I was wondering if you could share the CAD files with me. I am currently designing my own enclosure, but I am struggling with the slots in the wall for the various items. I was thinking that I could just look at your files and copy the ports. That is all I want. If you could do that for me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hey! Hereā€™s the download link

https://u109281.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109281/enclosure.zip

Is all of you stuff going in this enclosure? Also, how thick are the walls of you enclosure?

Hey Mate, Iā€™m a bit late to the game and the link doesnā€™t seem to work anymore (file not found)! Would you mind putting your model back online? Thanks! :blush:

Hey could you possibly send me your F360 model? Thanks!

Hello mcfly777, thank you for sharing your model. Would you mind activating the link again? It doesnā€™t seem to work anymore. Thanks again.

Any chance you can re-activate?