Custom battery enclosure *No specialty tools method*

Yea you can always run the receiver outside the case if issues do occur but mine I just plan to use woven fiberglass with opaque black dye for the final layer

1 Like

Nice. I miss playing with fiberglass. Canā€™t really do that in a small apartmentā€¦ At least not when you have a wife.

2 Likes

I was just at Harbor Freight and came across these.

20180717_122949

I was just curious if these could be used just the same as these, which are much more expensive, but as far as I can tell, do the same thingā€¦?

http://www.roarockit.com/tap-kits-and-bags/

Seems like the one from HF could do the same thing for a fraction of the cost. Does anyone know about these kits and if they are essentially overpriced vacuum bags like the one I just found?

2 Likes

I have a roarockit it it is useful, but quite thick. Meaning it doesnt conform to complex shapes very well. It is more geared for pressing decks.

Oh thatā€™s good to know. I was planning on using this just for a custom enclosure. I figured I could make some molds that once the air is all out, I could press these molds over the bag, and they would press the edges and other odd shapes in to place betterā€¦

I used normal clothes store bags and they worked just fine. I was even able to reuse the same oneā€¦I actually think that a bit thinner is better. It will follow the enclosure shape as @Sender said.

1 Like

Funny thing is thats why I bought mine too, but really isnā€™t great for that application. Glad I caught you before you ponied up the dough.

Amazing for pressing decks though! I have messed with that too much yet, but I plan to dabble.

1 Like

Yeah I was also considering making my own deck, either with one of these, or by building a press. This would be the easier method of course, but I was concerned it wouldnā€™t apply enough force as needed like youā€™d get from a press. So you would say these are actually very good at making decks since they do apply a tremendous amount of force then?

I want to make decks too, probably going to postpone it to next summer though

@moonā€¦ mine did just fineā€¦

received_10216525954405481

Itā€™s all about taking your time and doing it right, you dont NEED a vac, js

Thereā€™s no air bubbles, no liftsā€¦

Yeah its looks good, I have already made my enclosure though, but didnā€™t use any of these methods

@uigiroux u will destroy ur vacuum cleaner if u use thoseā€¦ you need a vacuum pump to get the right pressure and control it. You also need a resin trap between the vac bag and the pump so u donā€™t kill the pump

1 Like

This is the pump I use because I am an HVAC tech, I hook it up to my gauges, hook my homemade resin trap up to it, and then run a disposable hose to the bag system

20180717_135325

1 Like

:joy: No! Using vacuum cleaner you wonā€™t destroy your vacuum cleaner!! No way! Ghetto vacuuming works fine! Because you use your vacuum cleaner only to suck air out of bag for seconds and a bit more to compress better so that resin a bit move out by the grooves in the bag. You can clearly see how far resin travelled away from your fiber, it never get even close to valve on the bag. :wink: Of course if you leave vacuum cleaner non stop of all curing time, it will just blow up after few minutes :laughing:.

As for not using vacuum at all, yeah! You can just use thinner cloth with multiple layers. Thinner Twill takes a lot better more complicated shapes and corners. I made mudguards on male molds without vacuuming at all! Shapes more complicated than enclosure. I made first prototype from 10 layers 100g/m2 Twill Glass fiber, made just on one set all 10 layers. All sticked good to mold and corners, nice and smooth. :+1:

1 Like

Current side project for Halloween commission received_10213379402143641

7 Likes

Is the black just black paint, or a gel coat, etc?

Itā€™s black dye for the resin

Thank you. Iā€™m gonna give a shot in the near future and just picking up on things.