Custom Quad Belt Drive Board?

I don’t have your experience, but your comments confirm what I initially thought.

From what I’ve read, over the last couple of years, only a handful of guys ever took the plunge and built a 4WD street board, as their main ride.

In 2016, I built a 4WD Hummie Hub board. One time, when I was down 2 VESCS, I rode it for a few weeks as a 2WD; same board. That build was more efficient as a 4WD. Less load per motor, less heat, more climbing torque. *secondary point: 2 VESCS down and the board still drove…

The 4WD boards pull better on steep hills, dirt, grass, gravel, and are better at negotiating some obstacles that you’d have to go around on a 2WD. The brakes are way better, on all surfaces. I prefer the planted way a 4WD handles and delivers its torque.

Looking at the component spreadsheet, for that belt setup that I posted in this thread, if I edit every part quantity which had a (4) and replace it with a (2), the resulting dual drive would only be 27% cheaper than the 4WD. That’s not double the cost, if you’re building your own. Labor-wise, it probably does feel like building 2 boards at once, and a builder may factor that.

2 Likes

Your points are also well taken and I think there is a place for them in the scenario you just mentioned. Thanks again.

I’ve built 5 of them so far, all belts.

terrain definitely mattters. Every time i hear somebody justify 4wd, the statements also contain the phrases “dirt”, “gravel”, and “hill climbing”

Anyone over 220 pounds could likely see some benefit from 4wd.

If you want to maximise top end, you need it to overcome the last bit of wind resistance that your tuck just eliminate.

the other 99.9% of the time it’s just there eating juice. And splitting your load across four motors while doubling your rolling resistance isn’t really more efficient. Its already been proven by several people that the most efficient drive is a single motor setup. Two is a compromise for what is notabley more power.

Now hub motors and direct drives… that’s different.

2 Likes

Work in progress, but this will be my monster 4x4 / Golf board eventually.

4 Likes

u need bigger motor lol maybe like 8098

4WD, 72volts. Just landed in my shop yesterday, we’re going to try and keep it in one piece this time.

8 Likes

Nice. Can you provide parts list?

Wow. Awesome build. Any chance you can list out the parts?

We found different results…But we used different motors and a different battery.

1 Like

That’s not a build, its a china factory board from Tronix. We’ve been testing and experimenting with them for another skate company.

1 Like

Got it. Interesting board.

i agree. Its basically a truck. In fact, jake pushed an SUV up the road with it the other day. It’s so big you can really throw your body around on it and yank the sides up to carve deep. They weigh a metric fuckton but if you wanted something for true all terrain this is it. It will even climb stairs.

Wouldn’t be very good for urban commuting as its too huge to reasonably expect to drag it indoors anywhere.

Wow. Thx. Looks like a super-charged trampa - of course the board is totally different.

How much was that board retain? @longhairedboy