Custom urethane parts manufacturing of your ideas

Good morning, I am the President of RipTide Sports Inc. and we would like to offer our capabilities to make custom parts out of urethane using our open molding process. As you may know, urethanes offer characteristic that can be modified to suit the product requirement of your design as described below. Please email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to confidentially discuss you idea for a new product.

Polyurethane Advantages Wide Range of Hardness The classification of hardness for polyurethane relies on the prepolymerā€™s molecular structure can be manufactured from 20 SHORE A to 85 SHORE D

High Load Bearing Capacity Polyurethane has a high load capacity in both tension and compression. Polyurethane may undergo a change in shape under a heavy load, but will return to its original shape once the load is removed with little compression set in the material when designed properly for a given application.

Flexibility Polyurethanes perform very well when used in high flex fatigue applications. Flexural properties can be isolated allowing for very good elongation and recovery properties.

Abrasion & Impact Resistance For applications where severe wear prove challenging, polyurethanes are an ideal solution even at low temperatures.

Tear Resistance Polyurethanes possess high tear resistance along with high tensile properties.

Resistance to Water, Oil & Grease Polyurethaneā€™s material properties will remain stable (with minimal swelling) in water / oil / grease. Polyether compounds will last many years in subsea applications.

Electrical Properties Polyurethanes exhibit good electrical insulating properties.

Wide Resiliency Range Resilience is generally a function of hardness. For shock-absorbing elastomer applications, low rebound compounds are usually used i.e. resilience range of 10-40%. For high frequency vibrations or where quick recovery is required, compounds in the 40-65% resilience are used. In general, toughness is enhanced by high resilience.

Strong Bonding Properties Polyurethane bonds to a wide range of materials during the manufacturing process. These materials include other plastics, metals, and wood. This property makes polyurethane an ideal material for wheels, rollers, and inserts.

Performance in Harsh Environments Polyurethane is very resistant to temperature extremes, meaning harsh environmental conditions and many chemicals will not cause material degradation.

Mold, Mildew & Fungus Resistance Most polyether based polyurethanes do not support fungal / mold / mildew growth and are therefore highly suitable for tropical environments and FDA applications. Special additives can also be added to reduce this in polyester materials as well.

Color Ranges Varying color pigments can be added to polyurethane in the manufacturing process. Ultraviolet shielding can be incorporated into the pigment to provide better color stability in outdoor applications.

Economical Manufacturing Process Polyurethane is often used to manufacture one-off parts, prototypes or high volume, repeat production runs. Size ranges vary from a couple grams to 2000lb parts.

Short Production Lead Times Compared to conventional thermoplastic materials polyurethane has a relatively short lead time with significantly more economical tooling costs.

27 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What is your MOQ?

2 Likes

Hey David, we donā€™t have a minimum order quantity. Every project is judged on it individual merits and we are happy to determine if it can be made using our process and what it will cost to do. The normal way we proceed is to take a look at the part in a 3d file, if it looks like a suitable product that we can make out of urethane, we have you make a 3d print model or we can have it done for you, we then make a proto mold from the 3d male part and reproduce it in urethane for testing functionality as well as fit and finish. From there, if it is a product you want us to make for you to sell we can produce production tooling and provide you with production quantities.at an agreed upon rate.

7 Likes

Oh man, does this mean we can toy with the idea of urethane tyres with treads?

4 Likes

There are ways to do that. It is a bit involved and not cheap but it can be done with a multipart mold insert. Easier and cheaper to just send to Harfang for modification

2 Likes

Greetings Brad, I am a big fan of your bushings and pivot cups for Caliber2 trucks. I am currently running Riptide Krank bushings and very happy with their performance. There is a need in the Eskate market for more wheel options in sizes 90mm, 97mm, 100mm, 107mm What we need is soft wheels with high rebound, duro 75 or softer with either a Kegal or Flywheel type hub. There are many flywheel clones available but they are too hard and have little or no rebound. Many of us currently use Abec11 flywheel which are good quality but hard to get at times since the demand is greater than supply.

14 Likes

Iā€™d definitely buy a set of 107mm. I dream of having treads for riding when the ground is wet. I know nummies are available but these would look so much cooler imo.

All you need is a small lathe or a good drill press and you could cut treads into any wheel.

1 Like

Polyurethane enclosures please. Flexible enclosures in various sizes would be an awesome option.

8 Likes

True, but it wouldnā€™t be like what harfang do. Their service is expensive (not sure if its cost or they want all the profit lol)

I was talking with Chris, the owner of Abec-11 just yesterday and he told me they are ā€œall inā€ on the E-Skate wheels with their hub designā€™s compatibility with existing drive systems. Supply should not be an issue in the near future.

8 Likes

I wound need design details. Thin wall, large parts are more suited to injection molding but that gets really expensive

2 Likes
1 Like

I think urethane has several advantages to work well for this application but to do this, I would need to see a specific design

1 Like

Welcome Brad, likewise fan of your bushings, cups and tubes.

@MoeStooge heim joint bushing?

2 Likes

Omg!

Iā€™m so happy to see the president of Riptide around here, thank you for taking the time to offer your services.

We need a 110mm 70A urethane wheel, ultra high rebound, in repsol orange, black and fluorescent lime, but Iā€™m not sure of you will be able to copy the Abec 11 design, so we could continue using the same pulleys.

We also need to know if you could offer pulleys along with the wheels, how cool would that be, just buy the wheels and select your pulley teeth count, pulley should be made of hard plastic with high tensile strength.

What we need is a wheel that could hold bad terrains without chipping and at the same time be able to damp all kind of bad roads, rocks and broken asphalt.

Do you know how hard I is to get a good wheel these days? You need to be all over this right now

7 Likes

Thank you and i really love your enthusiasm but we are not offering to make conventional wheels at this juncture and the last thing I would do is copy a good friendā€™s product line that is rapidly improving as we speak with increased urethane depth through smaller drive compatible hubs. I would suggest addressing any needs or shortcomings with existing wheels that you perceive directly with Abec-11. They do listen.

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad to see you here as I have used your bushings and cups for a long time now. I welcome you and hope you find some good opportunities here.

1 Like

What do you think about risers with channels for motor wiring, Iā€™m not sure of the duro of typical risers but I guess something like that is fine

Hereā€™s my diy implementation

Also just plain risers of various duro would be interesting

7 Likes

1/2 risers with wire channels and 4mm bullets would be a winner for me.

2 Likes