Custom VESC for drop-in replacement of Onan ESC (Any interest?)

hahahaha…i meant a photo from the inside of the enclosure to see how you managed to fit in a dual flip sky esc hahahahahah but thank you anyways…vids you can upload to youtube and then put the link in here. And yeah, the powerswitch is a problem with such a big esc, for that reason i think two mini v-esc are the better choice, so you can leave the powerswitch where it is or move it to the side of the booster. Thats what i will do if space is a problem with the minis, but i think it will all fit perfect. I can’t swap resistors or things like that, because this means high math to me and im not able to change them with my crappy knowledge obout pcbs and stuff like that.

Does X2/X3 have the problem of the remote throttle delay? I push full throttle it takes like a full 6 seconds to actually give full power.

I almost wish I would have got the x2/3 for $500 but I got my x1 for $229 complete with the deck so kinda hard to say. No sensors means I can’t push from a start but after building my own board and riding it for a while, I realize that is saving a lot of battery power. FOC would be nice so it’s not so loud. Mine sounds like a powerdrill sometimes!

Maybe I will travel to china and meet with onan to convince them to make a dual vesc and 30Q setup and it will actually be quite nice.

1 Like

I got dual X2 in bldc and 4WD in foc and the remote works perfect for both of them.Never had any issues or delay or something. Maybe its because you have the earliest model of the x1. I bet this is the reason because Onan did lots of updates on their esc and remotes so far. I bought an X3 for my sisters 14 year old son and even this model works pretty well for him(he is a lightweight).No remote issues, nothing. I would not recommend an X1 or X3 for people above 50kg, because then its too weak. But its esc got damaged by water, because the plastics underneath the electrics had cracked because of vibration and deep concave of the deck, so there got a little bit water in there. Shit happens, but i will change the esc and all should be fine again.

Ya my plastic cover cracked too.

Its weird the pcb has a place to attach sensor motors on mine, so it’s like they were planning on adding the feature later.

1 Like

yeah, the x2 and x3 models i own are censored.Seems like you got an old dinosaur at hand:joy: I attached some foam rubber on the plastics and underpinned the concave of the deck with it, since then everything is fine.

IMG_2634 IMG_2635

1 Like

You can likely see that I removed 2 screw posts. I didn’t want to waste too much time manually machining the enclosure to fit the vesc I also wanted to be able to screw the old speed controller in if I can work out what’s wrong. I just drilled them from the top Of the post down

1 Like

Awesome, cannot believe that it fits. I measured the case and even with drilling the screw posts i couldn’t get the flip sky dual in there( using a mock up flip sky i cut out from paper)…were you able to add more power to the motors for more top speed? Edit: Why do you want to replace the flip sky again with the original esc? Was it better with the original or what is the reason? Because I want to change them to add a bit more power to my dual Onan drive using the vesc tool.

I actually found it quite good on the original esc and remote. I only changed to the flipsky because I lost confidence that I could order replacement parts for the Onan and have a reliable setup, This vesc hasn’t been without its issues it would cut out over a certain motor amp level. It’s working well now after doing a repair and certainly has more power. Running in sensored foc is great

1 Like

you mean the original onan esc has cutouts or the flip sky? sorry im a bit confused because my dual x2 on sensored bldc shuts down when going up to steep hills. The 4WD X2 is sensored, too and in foc which is amazing-climbing every hill full speed without getting the motors hot. I was totally happy at first with my dual but now, if you say its better with flip sky or another esc like the mini v-esc i want to try, then i will do the same. which remote do you use now?

I’m afraid the shutdown is actually the battery controller shutting down on max amps so changing the controller might not even fix it youd have to change the BMS too.

1 Like

Ah okey thank you. if im doing the battery mod one day i will skip the bms anyways to get more cells in there, but this is future time project. At first i would be happy if everything is fixed and it performs the way it did before, because i got some more Onan boosters at hand, but this one is from my sisters son.Still waiting on parts from china. If you need a the email address of my seller i will send it to you. From there you can get any part for the onan you need

The fsesc dual 4.2 had a known issue with cutouts, this has been solved recently and corrected at a manufacturing level. My ivoryboards. Is a bldc model and it would cog from a standstill changing to a configurable speed controller where I could set up sensored foc was an amazing change. I tested these motors at 50 motor amps and it dragged my fat ass up a decent incline. I was using the original ivory(Onan)setup and one day randomly I turned the board off and when I went to turn it back on to use it, it wouldn’t pair. I struggled to get in touch with the manufacturer to order gear so went with the flipsky. By rights after going to a separate speed controller and remote receiver setup I’ve never had a connection issue and I’ve always had the board running

1 Like

mhhh, i will think about my plans again. maybe use the original esc for the kids booster. don’t want to do experiments on the neck of the boy. Will order the onan esc right now:laughing: he has got the X3 booster and the main units are available atm… Like i mentioned before i never ever had any connection issues or something and i bought 7 boosters last year. Two x2 4WDs in FOC(which is 4 boosters), Two x2 Dual in bldc and one x3 in bldc. All of them are pretty fine except the mainboard of the x3 now.

Go for a X2 4WD and you will see how much power is into them.I have seen them these days on alibaba for under 700 dollars complete with 2 chargers, 2 remotes, 2 battery packs and a deck. And you are from australia, so shipping should be under 150 dollars.

IMG_2638 this is the way the enclosure looks sorry it was 4 posts

1 Like

Lol one of my battery packs stops charging at 40 volts, so I’m probably looking at building a new pack. But it’s the high capacity pack that is actually dead, so maybe I should make 2 10s2p 30q packs…

1 Like

At first I have to THANK YOU! for disassembling your board on my request. That means a lot for me and again THANK YOU for that.

Edit: Yeah nicely done, I thought about the same enclosure mod by removing some parts which could change or are even irrelevant on this future fantasy project. Most important for me is to keep the power switch where it is if it is possible, therefor I still have an eye on the minivescs, but I got lots of time with that, because Onan , believe it or not, still ROCKS! About Foc mode on Onan you are totally right is more than awesome(doesn’t matter if flip sky esc or original onan esc i guess)…the motors are super mega smooth while accelerating with kind of dynamic power transmission which makes this machine a true weapon.I love that. The only weakness of onan drives imo is the aluminium motor wheel inner part, where the slots are which were designed for air-cooling.This skeletal designs leads to weakness because they are very soft and will break soon by hitting the sidewalk sometimes(i always hit the sidewalk hahahah. But I got an idea about solving this issue… @bluegreen sorry for going so much out of topic. I am still interested in another esc option that would fit:grinning:

I thought about something (don’t laugh) similar to n.e.s.e(don’t know the name, its an italian guy) or @Winfly modules to easily put into those original onan battery enclosures. This way we are able to change capacity(which could be very flight friendly in separated mentioned modules)and we have access to every single cell at all time… Sorry I can’t live without edit! What also would be fantastic if we could choose between different wheel diameter! Ive seen some guys on here doing own HUB-SLEEVE-WHEELS! I think @visnu777 is one guy who is able to do things like that, because he is in practice with that hub sleeves.

Eh, the more I think about it as soon as you solve one problem there are so many more.

Thing I like the most is the deck and the weight balance, but I guess I could do that with another setup too.

Bummed out about the battery. I’ll tear it apart, I’m really hoping I can revive the cell, I’m not sure it’s worth trying to match the cells that are in there and replace it with a new one.

1 Like

Yeah good idea trying to switch the cells to 30Q. Was planning the same but im not sure yet. I got another idea to work out atm and must think about that a bit more.:cowboy_hat_face: