Customizable Remotes Thumb & Trigger style

Hello guys, I would like to offer you the remotes below. These remotes at their core(electronically) are the same but vastly different in terms of grip and style. It took me quite a bit of pcb and cad design iterations, failures, wrong parts selections/placements to get it all right and perfect.

I wanted something simple yet a quality product with long lasting genuine parts and a long lasting battery. I designed it to fit 102050 li-ion battery (differents sizes fit too just need to be within the spared internal dimensions) which lasts for quite a bit of time before it needs to be charged. It can be charged simply by connecting an 5V USB C cable, optionally it can also be charged wirelessly using a Qi charge pad.

My first setback was the flimsy and unreliable trigger switch. Most of the cheap switches can cause erratic input and can cause you a serious harm as it can cut out randomly during a ride which is incredibly dangerous. Even most of the name brand switches are rated for around 50-100K lifecycles. They are not bad but we can do better. The one i used is rated for 1KK(1 million) clicks which is well above what we need. The push back force of the switch is somewhat weak and it didnt feel well so i added a firm spring for a nice feedback on the trigger switch as well.

Throttle gave me a bit of a trouble as I didn’t want to use hall sensor because they are hard to get it just right and the output values are sometimes jumpy which is not ideal. I turned my attention to potentiometers but again most of the products are rated for 10-20K turn lifecycles. I found 2-3 products which suits our application and rated for 1KK(1million) turn lifecycle and they are incredibly steady. To achieve a smooth operation there’s also a ball bearing sitting between the potentiometer and the throttle.

The whole internal mechanical structure revolves around metal parts and we are not relying on plastic material on critical spots. Tapped plastic for bolts only lasts for couple of in and outs and after that it is compromised. I embedded metal M2 nuts and i probably disassembled the remote more than 30 times during testing which is well above what we need. Pillar that holds the spring for the throttle is also an M4 screw as well as the pillars for the lever and the trigger. Nothing is left to chance as from my personal previous experiences they can lead to unfortunate events.

There’s a single bi-color led to interface with the remote which can tell you the connection status, battery level and the current speed mode.

There are 2 buttons at the back(at the top on the trigger style) of the remote. Button B is dedicated to ws2812 lighting and button A is tied to battery level and speed mode operations.

If you are into lighting remotes come with optional ws2812 RGB lighting. You can cycle between 15 lighting modes and upon leaving it on the same mode for more than 10 seconds that specific mode is recorded into the memory so when you turn it on next time It starts from that specific lighting mode. Trigger style one comes with and extra led which is at the top butted against the led bar which further improves the effects and visibility at night.

What Im really proud about these remotes is there no buts, ifs or maybes when it comes to signal strenght&integrity and the build quality. These remotes just work no matter your enclosure or possible interferences from other devices.

Receiver can be configured with open ended cables, male/female JR futaba servo connector or JST PH connector.

Summary:

• PCB based, placed with a machine and reflowed boards
  • Long life potentiometer and limit switch
  • Genuine parts
  • Place for a big battery
  • Power amplified genuine communication modules for the best wireless connection
  • 2 acceleration modes
  • On board battery charger
  • Embedded nuts to prevent wear and tear on the threads
  • USB C connector
  • (optional)WS2812 lighting
  • (optional)Wireless charging

I have bunch of color options + for any customization or question you can pm me

In Progress

I also designed a simple to mount with no additional hardware ESK8 RGB lighting consisting of 56 individual leds. Idea is to power them directly from the battery esk8 battery with max 60V. Be able to control them(change modes, turn them on or off) directly from the remote. There are around 30 effects and first 2 are headlight tail light modes. Since we are controlling them directly from our remotes receiver I was able to create a mode that works just like a car tail light(brighter and flashing while braking). Lights are encased in resin to make them durable and completely waterproof. Can be top or bottom mounted and it is currently in testing stage. Coding and designing is done and finished. I will be able to share more later on.

3 Likes

Pretty cool.

thank you, forgot to add but probably with the esk8 lighting system i will be able to add some battery percentage option to give a rough estimate of the boards battery status which can be checked using the remote. I should add that to the power pcb for convenience. hmm or I can reflect the battery status to the esk8 lighting using HSV red being %0 and going up in HSV towards blue being %100 or trigger light to reflect remote battery and thumb light to reflect board battery in HSV. so many ways to go on about it but I will see how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far so good. Front and back lights have total of 64 led lights goes right under the trucks or mounts on top of the board. 1 hour of testing with the most intense lighting raised the temp of the board to around 40C degrees which is more than acceptable. Will post some more close up pics and video later on.

1 Like

What radio does this use?

How does this reject signals from other Z.Motes that may be nearby?

Radio choice took literally ages but between the BLE, rfm69, Nrf24 given the same circumstances nrf24 performed by far the best in my own testing. I actually developed and finished the BLE coding only to switch to nrf24 in the end. Probably should have made some initial testing but my enclosure is made out of carbon fiber and without a power amplifier on the front end of the BLE it just doesnt work. Which I also designed such a module but such combination only raises the price with no additional contribution. Nrf24 on the other hand is tricky because it needs a good placement, good pcb layout and a decent LDO and not to mention most of the modules are crap because they are mostly fake. So I just designed my own nrf24 with PA but after finding the ebyte modules i noticed a zero difference in performance and the quality of their modules are consistent. So for now Im using their products. 6 solid walls, carbon fiber enclosure + remote in my hand and the signal is still there and not to mention when i search for wifi i get like 20+ results in my phone at the same time. As for the same remote i can literally put 2 remotes one next to another and they both have signal without and dropped packages because every remote+receiver has its own unique address

1 Like

How many unique addresses are there?

1 Like

oh that would be too many, about 1 trillion :slight_smile: I also keep track of every address so not giving the same address to anyone else, just in case if they happen to ride together. you dont wanna apply brakes on your friends board :smiley:

3 Likes

I think I found my favorite combination. This is basically a torch :flashlight: :joy:

4 Likes

Thumb one is getting a light+ version thanks to the Zachary’s idea. i think it is finally looking like a torch :smile: extra leds forced me to change the hardware and the scematic quite a bit but so far so good. Abit more coding and testing is needed.

3 Likes

Loving the remote. Very tempted to get one when it’s out.

Just abit more and its done :slight_smile: Currently working on implementing this color wheel. So when you check out the battery of the remote hue being 0 will be red color and I’m thinking to max it at 40k ish for blue color being %100. Thats for the remote battery. Another test im working on is the board battery. I added a weak resistor divider on the receiver pcb that supports up to 70V. The plan is for the receiver to take samples from board battery and report it to the remote. According to the pre set S count(10s,12s etc) map the voltage to color wheel exactly like how it works for the remote battery. Not aiming for a precise measurement just a rough estimation using the leds to see battery percentage. Like if you see a light blue you can tell it is around %90 and when you see a green color you can tell its around %50 etc. I also added a buzzer which I have no plans for it at the moment :smiley: but i might link it to the battery percentage events etc i will see.

2 Likes

Looks like Snoopy

thank you for sharing

A little insight about Light+ development :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any idea when the trigger remotes will be back in stock?

I’ve got 3 in stock right now and another 7 will be i guess in a week or so.

1 Like

Awesome I just ordered 1. Thanks a ton it’s a really good looking remote.

1 Like

Thank you, I will contact you for some additional info regarding your order.

1 Like