Its about time I post a build thread, so here we go. I’m mostly going to post pics because, well, they’re fun and who doesn’t enjoy picture books.
A little back story about me, I started getting into board sports around 4 years back when I started wakesurfing. Its still my favorite activity during summer. I tend to be out on the water 2-3 times a week May through October. The rest of the time I spend on land, where the falls hurt a lot more.
My interest in e skate began when I visited a local store called Beta. They stock new gadgets and primarily kickstarter campaign products. Its a cool store. They had a few boards there and I got my first demo.
My first board was an acton blink lite. It actually still runs after about 2 years of use! knock on wood. I’ve since transplanted it onto a different deck. My girlfriend who uses it now didn’t like the short deck as a beginner rider and wanted a more stable platform.
Having owned the blink for about a summer and riding it quite a lot, I realized that it was really just too slow. My coworkers all had evolves or onewheels and even those were kicking my ass w hen going to lunch somewhere a few miles away.
So I decided to get a liftboard dual.
I can’t complain too much. Other than the advertised range was surely not 17 miles. It was more like 7 miles riding full throttle before voltage sag took over and wouldn’t let you ride much more. So I returned that one back to walmart.
Then began my DIY journey. I decided on first putting together a single 6355 setup as a POC. And then to go with a dual if I felt like I needed more power, or torque or etc.
I bought most of my parts from TB.
The starting set of parts included: 1x TB VESC 1x TB 6355 motor TB motor mount TB 13t motor pulley TB 36t abec pulley TB 12s4p panasonic 2950mah/10A cell pack with enclosure. MBS prebuilt with 100mm wheels TB nano controller and hardware
What resulted was this:
And then I decided to go dual motor 6355 with dual TB VESC over canbus. What resulted was a blown DRV.
I decided to scrap the VESCs and go FOCBOXs. Ordered two from enertion and waited for those to get here.
I also built a split ppm cable to avoid any CAN weirdness.
After that all arrived, I put together the dual setup. I did have an issue with the enclosure cracking, so I ended up making this sort of force distribution ABS plastic piece.
Then I caught the s2 binding bug. It was awesome riding in the city and being able to crank hard on the binding to turn super tight corners on sidewalks. I also partially shaved the MBS.
Then I decided to add a bit more personality. And also take off the rear s2 binding. That one just made me feel like I would eat shit.
I thought this would end at this point and I’d be happy but no. I caught the evo deck bug, thanks @mmaner.
So I got a new used deck from my buddy Nate, who runs motion boardshop! Omen Chief deck. Spent some time restoring it and changing the shape of the deck.
I also ordered some 6shooters from @psychotiller. Waiting for those to arrive now!
And here is the test fit. I also swapped over the blink lite onto my old deck.
And more updates will come as more parts get in!