Daily Driver (Chinese build) - Dual Winning W4 83mm Hub motors / DIY 12S Modular (?) Battery / VESC

#Hi everyone,

I am planning on building this fairly light board which would I would use for my daily commutes to the office or the factory (<5km, very very flat). Oh, and I currently live in mainland China (near Shenzhen).

Playing with Chinese pre made boards is cool, especially when you can get them for 400$, but I am a heavy guy who likes to go FAST, and they weren’t up to the task.

The parts I choose will come from Chinese manufacturers and Chinese retailers, not because of the price, but because nothing else is really available here, plus the delivery times are blazing fast on Taobao (less than 2 days)… (Okay, maybe also because of the price).

Moreover I thought that it would be a good occasion to debunk the myth about “Cheap Chinese crap” and show that like anywhere, somethings are good, others are bad, some are too cheap to be true, some are overpriced… Even though I agree, the sellers mostly don’t know anything about the product or its utilisation.

Motors : Winning W4 1800W dual Hub motors kit (with truck) I just liked the price, and the way the urethane looks (doesn’t look like a motor from the ouutside). I never heard about anyone using these, so if you guys would like a full review, please let me know how I should test them.

Battery : 12s2p Made out of free 185650 cells from my company 12S ince I don’t really know what the C rating of cells I’ll get, I opted for 12s over 10s (increasing the voltage reduces the current draw right ?), and 2P because I don’t think I’ll be able to go lower than that in regards to current draw.

BMS : I really don’t know which one to use right now, if anyone knows any good one that supports 12s and would be available in china please let me know. (This one looks weird and overkill : http://goo.gl/Zkgt9S)

I could also add it later and deal with a balancing charger for now

ESC : VESCs Because of the opensource-ness and … well… it seems to be only really programmable one on the market anyway right ? I’ve set my mind on Maytech VESCs, because, again… nothing else is available here :expressionless: I am planning on buying those ones : goo.gl/NPHkvH

Board : Benchwheel B Board As I destroyed my Benchwheel Dual with south China monsoon rain thrice, I decided that I would let the excellent customer service alone (they already changed the battery twice and the motor mount once). So i’ll be reusing the board and the Front trucks for this build. I might reshape it differently but I still have to figure out what I want to to with the electronics.

Battery and electronics enclosure : I would love the board to keep the very little flex it has, so centering the electronics around the rear truck would be awesome. I have an something in mind for this but I suck at drawing, really…

Remote : Benchwheel remote I got it, it stil works, its very low profile, and I love the handling

#I think that’s it ! I probably forgot some important things as it is my first build, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong, or give any suggestions.

About Chinese parts : I know a lot of you guys don’t trust fully Chinese products, you probably have your reasons. I live in china, and even though I could try to import everything from reputable sellers in the West, I will try to stay local for convenience and also for the sake of trying new products.

I am very impressed by you guys on this forum, trying to make things happen in the eSkate community, helping each other, ordering in bulk, starting buisnesses, developping useful products… Keep the good work ! nd even though I could try to import everything from reputable sellers in the West, I will try to stay local for convenience and also for the sake of trying new products.

I am very impressed by you guys on this forum, trying to make things happen in the eSkate community, helping each other, ordering in bulk, starting buisnesses, developping useful products… Keep the good work !

UPDATES :

UPDATE 26/10/2016

• Received my motor kit and VESCs
  • Ordered a new Board for the final build, I will still do the test runs with the benchwheel board, because… you know… fire and stuff.
7 Likes

Did you buy the hub motors

Yep, they arrived today

Great who did you buy from

Check out supower bms. I think they are in China

Check Bestech for BMS’s. I have used them on serveral projects were i needed to keep the cost low and they have worked well.

@ajaynagra Bought them from that seller you recommended on taobao : http://goo.gl/kBaewJ

@lox897 and @kdee122 Thanks guys I’ll check them out, i can’t seem to find them under those name though, but with a little research I should be able to find their chinese name.

How much is benchwheel decks?

http://bestechpower.com/

Have you started building?

I didn’t start anything, except unpacking, and cleaning the board, still waiting on my factory for the Battery cells.

I am still struggling to find a good BMS here, the sellers on Taobao don’t really know their products, and there is no documentation in English. I’ve found one with an Android APP and an integrated screen that can take up to 24S/100A, but I don’t really know anything about BMSs, so I don’t know what bulk charger I would need to buy with this.

Does the BMS need a specific voltage input ( depending on which BMS you choose) and then converts it to charge the individual cells no matter how many there are ? Or is the BMS input linked to the number of battery cells the user choose ?(Charges them bulk and them balance them by discharging).

if you type in 12s bms on google it comes up, or find suppower, they ship from china so its should be easy

[quote=“JullianS, post:1, topic:11110”] Benchwheel B Board [/ i wonta a by dis electric sketboard. …what’s a price

Yeah thanks for the advice,

The thing is, most of the Chinese brands only sell outside China, I can’t find Suppower BMS on Taobao, or anything that look like their products… I’ll have to contact them directly and see if they can sell inside china, or if they have a rebrand of some sort on Taobao.

I have several questions :

1- I see a lot of brands that have an overcharge threshold of 4.25V, which is, from what I read, too high. Even Suppower BMS have 4.2V ( https://goo.gl/D8ZXVG ). Don’t you need 4.1V overcharge threshold for maximum durability ?

2- Can a 13S BMS handle a 12S battery ?

3- If so, should my power supply be 50.4V (12S @4.2V), 49.2 (12S @4.2V), 54.6 (13S @4.2V) or 53.3(13S @4.1V) ?

Thanks for the help guys !

SuPower is on ebay and their website is ‘batterysupports’

Thanks for the website, I’ve contacted them.

Do you guys have any answers for my previous questions ?

1. It will be fine
  2. No, you need a 12S BMS for a 12S battery
  3. This one will work: http://www.batterysupports.com/432v-44v-504v-4a-lithium-ion-lipo-battery-charger-12s-12x-36v-p-167.html

@JullianS

@lox897 Thanks a lot !

The sellers here told me that the 13S BMS would work for a 12S battery if I used a 12S bulk charger, but that seemed odd.

I’ll buy suppower if they sell in China, and I’ll start the build as soon as I can.

By the way I received the VESC today :

2 Likes

You would have to wire the balance leads a specific way, but why not just get the 12s bms? It will be much easier