DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

Just PM me your address. I’ll ship the whole kit to you on Monday. The premium version of course. :smile:

4 Likes

I appreciate it. Let me know what I owe you.

Its apparently a british thing, started off as a joke but now people really wanna call it DAVE :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

It’s not a British thing! It’s just the best name for this amazing device.

7 Likes

We could call it DaVeGa as a compromise. :smile:

10 Likes

This :arrow_up: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This could work. I’ll speak to my people about getting a contract drawn up.

(My people are 4 and 1 years old and currently hanging off my legs)

8 Likes

It’s worth considering that the re-branding cost savings would be substantial!

IMG_1461

11 Likes

9 Likes

If anyone would like only the PCB, I can get it to you for $3 shipped ($1 PCB, $2 shipping). It should work world wide. It’s untracked for that price. Tracked is ~$5, which is not worth it given the PCB price. The components needed for the assembly should be easy to get. I can get all in the local electronics store over the counter.

3 Likes

Yes please. I’ll go for a few to the UK.

1 Like

@bigben Please PM me your address and how many would you like.

The same goes for anyone else who would like PCBs only.

I expect it won’t be before 2-3 weeks before I can ship full kits.

Just a reminder: The kits will come without the display. If you haven’t ordered one yet, it maybe be a good time to do it since it will take a while until it arrives to you. This is the cheapest source I have found, but I don’t have any experience with them, so I can’t give any recommendations.

3 Likes

still not a satisfying answer, but it’s ok.

PM’d

1 Like

Pmd back. If you need an enclosure for your board let me know and I’ll send one out to you. Think of it as a small thank you for what you’re doing for the community.

5 Likes

I had idea to put also programmable RGB strip controller port but after running simple examples it used over 80% of memory on ATmega32u4 so I don’t think it would fit together with main software. I will try to look either separate solution or into bigger flash mcu :stuck_out_tongue:

Because those strips looks sick :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@Kug3lis That looks cool. Is the speed / battery status somehow reflected in that?

1 Like

Here’s some info about the kit assembly, currently mainly for those who asked for the PCBs only.

This is the PCB layout:

Required components:

• ILI9225 2.0" TFT LCD Display
  • ATMEGA328P-PU
  • 16 MHz crystal
  • 2x 20pF capacitor
  • 100nF capacitor
  • 1N4148 diode
  • 10k resistor
  • 3x button (only BTN1 currently used)
  • 8 pin JST PH female connector (for the VESC)
  • 5 or 6 pin right angle female pin header (for programming)
  • USB-UART adapter (for programming)

Recommended:

• 8 pin JST PH male connector, 1 and 4 pin dupont female connectors
    • to make an 8 pin JST -> 5 pin dupont adapter for programming
    • update: maybe this is a better solution

Assembled PCB: 38

The VESC and DEBUG pads are for 4 pin JST PH connectors, but these are not needed. Better to solder on wires directly. VESC cable wires can be soldered either to the VESC pads plus the DTR (if you want to use the cable for programming as well) or to the 5 USB-UART pads.

In the local stores, I wasn’t able to find small enough 20pF capacitors. The ones I found are taller than the chip (second tallest) and that increases the thickness of the whole thing.

IMG_1467

Therefore I used SMD caps instead. If you need to do the same, I recommend the 0805 ones. Though smaller, they are easier to solder on than the 1206 since they fit in better.

Alternatively, it’s possible to use the DIP caps and carefully bend them.

IMG_1468

Be sure to burn a bootloader before soldering on the chip.

Here’s how to install the firmware.

Good luck!

9 Likes

Gerber files can be downloaded from https://easyeda.com/honza.pomikalek/VESC-Gauge.

• scroll down to “PCB v0.2” and click on “Open in Editor”
  • select “Generate Fabrication File” from the menu: 31

@thisguyhere

3 Likes

Hey, does it matter what tolerance they are? I have some silver and gold ones in my parts kit from school and I was just gonna use those

It’s just a pull up resistor. You can use pretty much any value close to 10k.

1 Like