DAVEga second batch

Soldering job looked really good on the assembled board. @janpom can you share a bit of your soldering technique? Did you use extra flux or just rosin core solder?

Thanks! No extra flux. (Would be extra work to clean afterwards. :smile:) Just a thin 0.5 mm leaded (60/40) solder with flux core. That with my TS100 soldering iron and the default conical tip and default settings (300 Celsius). I have done quite a few of them now, which was a really good soldering practice.

Itā€™s all pretty straightforward. Youā€™ll obviously want to start with the smallest components. I typically went in the following order:

• resistor
  • diode
  • USB-UART female header
  • crystal
  • 22p and 100n capacitors
  • MCU
  • 100u capacitor
  • JST-PH
  • display headers

The display headers are best soldered on with the display plugged in. Itā€™s easier.

The USB-UART header is best done by soldering only one pin first; then reheat it with right hand and adjust position with the left hand. Solder the remaining pins last. The same goes for the JST-PH though that one I usually managed to do without having to re-adjust the position after soldering the first pin.

I didnā€™t use any helping hands. I just kept the PCB on a flat surface.

Edit: I recorded the assembly.

4 Likes

Nice, thanks for the breakdown! My TS80 is arriving in the mail today, looking forward to making the second DAVEga using it.

rosin core sucks only use leaded 60/40 or 62/36/2 silver bearing solder.

@briman05 Interesting, the general advice on the internet is to use rosin core for electronics. So when you use 60/40 that doesnā€™t have flux in the core right? You add the flux yourself?

No it has a flux core. The internet is probably telling you to use lead free rosin core because is it safer health wise but leaded solder is superior

Makes sense. Leaded 60/40 with flux core. I figure for people that are not soldering every day a little bit of lead is ok, but I could be wrongā€¦

I have used leaded rosin core and silver bearing rosin core with no issues but non leaded is not as good for electronic work as leaded

63/37 is easier to work with. Kester is a good brand.

The fumes from the flux are actually more of a health problem than the lead. Keeping the temperature low reduces the fumes. For PCB soldering I usually do 300 Celsius but I tried going to 270 and that worked just fine as well. If possible, keep the window open while soldering and/or breath out when making a solder joint.

2 Likes

Found a monster summary post for solder wire at eevblog.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/an-other-post-for-good-solderwire/msg655700/#msg655700

I have 5 last assembled DAVEgas that Iā€™d like to let go. I wonā€™t be making any more kits. I also have 3 extra displays. Price:

• $16 - assembled DAVEga + USB-UART adapter + 4 simple buttons + parts for making a harness
  • $7 - display
  • $6 - shipping to EU, $7 to outside EU

IMG_1961

@bonesaw @Ricco @MrFidgety @AlMcCal

2 Likes

@janpom still working on a larger Dave ?

Could I buy 2 please @janpom ?

Yes, I am. @LRDesigns designed a nice enclosure for it. Weā€™ll have it CNC-ed in aluminum and it will be super sexy. The bigger display wonā€™t be the only improvement. Iā€™m completely rewriting the code for the ESP32 platform and adding a lot of new features. Thereā€™s still a lot of work to be done though. I suppose it will wonā€™t be before 3-4 months until you can buy one. The price will be quite a bit higher than the current DAVEga but I hope weā€™ll be able to keep it below $100 including the enclosure. No more spoilers for now. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Canā€™t wait !!

Are there any more available with the screen?

No, sorry. I have last two without displays.

Okay, Iā€™ll take one please. Iā€™ll PM you in a little bit. Can you please link the correct screen again?

Iā€™ll get one if any left, assembled or not, screen or not. Will pay in USD via Paypal, shipping to Canada. :slight_smile: