Designing a FOCBox heatsink cooling system

Guys, u need thermal mass, not fans and fins… Our cases never even went higher than 50ºC with older vesc

1 Like

Yeah roughly after looking at app data. It was also a cooler day out so that woulda helped some. @Kug3lis for computer gpu’s or cpu’s Do they just use mass to cool them? Our application is obviously different, but combining a mass of aluminum and fins would probably be the best .

Lets assume that there is some middle ground between fins fans and thermal mass. There is a need to limit thermal mass, and I am trying to develop something that has thermal mass and incorporates fins and a fan.

Personally, I don’t think that adding thermal mass is the complete answer. Being that aluminum isn’t the best for wicking heat away from the source. That being said, aluminum is great at dissipating heat whereas copper attracts heat and likes to hold it. The most ideal setup would have a copper core and an aluminum shroud that would dissipate the heat for the copper.

Straying away from material thermodynamics, I believe the best solution would keep the thermal mass closest to the FETs at a minimum while keeping the majority of the mass away from the FETs. I think this will be able to keep some of the excess heat stored away from the FETs and allow it to be dissipated in time.