I’m designing a gear drive for my 8th grade year long recital project and was wondering if some people could lend a helping hand. If you’ve built one before, I was wondering if we could talk about how you started, the parts you used, and what was your process? I’ve looked through the forum and found some info, looked on sites that sell gear drives for what components I need, and reached out to some people.
I want to build it compatible to a street board, kinda like the AVIO gear drive by @nuttyjeff. The hardest part is finding a place to design and CNC the parts over the summer. If anyone has any advice, that would be appreciated. I have experience with CAD, laser cutting, and 3D printing. I’m starting research on how to CNC and design for that, does anyone have any videos that they learned from?
I have a CNC machine at my school, along with a laser cutter and multiple 3D printers. The only problem is I can’t use them over the summer. I think I’ll spend most of my time research and designing over the summer, but I don’t know how long each part would take. I don’t have a scope of how to manage the project.
If someone has a good Gear Drive or can recommend one, that would be rly appreciated!
All of my questions:
- What program do you use to design stuff?
- Is there any process that helped?
- How did you start?
- Who helped you in your process?
- What general advice would you give?
- Are there any posts that I can take a look at to improve my research?
- Should I purchase a gear drive so I can take it apart and look at the parts and what I need to design?