Designing a Gear Drive for My 8th Grade Project

56%20PM i’ve been playing around on Fusion 360, how does this look.

1 Like

Lol wow… way to be the immature one when the person making the post is in 8th grade :joy:

1 Like

what did he mean?

Welcome to the internet bud

Honestly this is a very ambitious project. Making gear drives is not an easy thing to do. I do not say this to discourage you from trying it. I think you should try as hard as you can and I think you might be able to succeed, however I think you should also just try to make a belt drive first because it’s easier and you will learn a lot about designing things in the process. If you can successfully design a motor mount and pulley with a belt drive then move onto a gear drive.

What I do not want to happen is for you to spend a ton of time on a gear drive for it to ultimately fail and then you have nothing to show for your efforts. It would be much better for you to make a working belt drive in the first couple months of school so that you always have something to show at the end of the year. Then move onto developing the gear drive.

2 Likes

That’s actually a really good idea. I honestly agree with you and Im going to take this route since I do want something to show at the end of the year, even if it’s not a gear drive!

1 Like

Guess it’s my mistake for thinking this forum was above standard Internet shenanigans :joy:

1 Like

I am a college student with a fair amount of experience building DIY projects such as a go cart when I was your age. It still took me a full year to build an electric skateboard that was reliable and that I was proud of showing off. That being said I also have limited time because I run my own business on top of classes so I certainly think you will be able to build an electric skateboard you are proud to show off by the end of the school year. Please contact me if you ever need any help or have questions. I also have an enclosure that you can have for free if you need one.

I may also have a motor I can give you as well. I will have to double check to make sure it works though.

It’s a 6355 260kv 3200 watt. The sensor is blowing but I’m pretty sure that’s the only thing that is wrong with it and sensors hardly make any difference in actual performance above 1 mph

it’s good. Don’t worry I have 2 builds, building my third.

Also i’ve built a working carousel over the summer last year so i got some experience with building.

1 Like

Alright then you know what’s up lol

The offer still stands for the motor and enclosure. The enclosure is new. I made them myself. It is the short enclosure that I posted about a while back if you check my post history.

Gear drive is one the easiest things to design. Just have to know how gears work. If you know how “DP” or modules play part in the meshing of gears, it’s not hard to design a mounting plate.

2 Likes

have you built one before?

Sell them to an enemy…then just wait.

1 Like

:joy:imma do that.

me: Hey bro, do you want some parts for an electric skateboard?

1 Like

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words/2992/10350?u=indiangummy

1 Like

Mmm sexy 3 gear

1 Like

ooh lala, gotta love the 3 gear

44%20PM how does this look for the baseplate? not to scale nor to finished