Direct Drive Pneumatic Board | Budgetskater 41.5" Drop-Down | eLofty Direct Drive | 8S5P custom N.E.S.E | FSESC 6.6 | 6x2 Pneumatic Tire + 3D printed Hub

Build Thread

image image image

This thread is to document my 3rd build. I am pretty happy with my 2nd build documented here and I have put more than 400km on it already. I am going to be reusing a lot of the ideas that worked well with the previous build, while correcting the mistakes made. In particular,

I am keeping:

1. 6x2 pneumatics
  2. NESE battery pack
  3. Wheel guards
  4. drop down board
  5. Shielding motor from tiny rock impact
  6. Trolley handle at the back
  7. Start switch at the back too

I am changing:

1. NESE box design and mounting style
  2. Enclosure will now be 3d printed and given a glass fiber skin for better fit
  3. Better waterproofing
  4. The phase+sensor wires will now plug into connectors near trucks
  5. charging connector will be in a 3D printed box placed near start switch

Parts list:

Deck: 1 X BudgetSkater drop down = $40(shipped)
Direct Drive: 1 X eLofty direct drive motor and hangar = $319(shipped)
BasePlate: 2 X Independent Baseplate = $0(added with bushings below)
Bushings 1X Thunder Bushing = $22(shipped)
ESC : 2 X FSESC 6.6 = $220(haven’t bought it yet)
NRF51 for VESC: 1 X FlipSky NRF51_vesc: $10
Battery : 40X Samsung 25R(10S4P)= $120 shipped
Battery pack: 5 N.E.S.E Tabs only = $31(shipped)
NESE Box: $15(needs about half kg of PETG)
NESE Vibration Mount: 3x 8Pack= $10(shipped)
BMS: charge only = 11(shipped)
Tire+tube: Dickyho 6X2 inner tube and tire= $44(Shipped)
Wheel Hub: 3D printed hub= $40
Enclosure: 3D printed and skinned = $30(rough estimate, will change)
M5X10 Wood Insert: 1x 50pcs = $3(shipped)
M5 Anodized Fancy Washer: 1X 20Pcs = $3(shipped)
Remote: Mini Remote = $19(Shipped)
Wheel Guard: 3D printed = $10
Miscellaneous: Connectors, glue, wires…= $20

I believe, I have included everything possible and the total cost of the build would be around $955.

For the eLofty DD, do check both the stores cheng182018 and ke2155. I don’t have a fixed link because they keep on expiring. You could also make a offer to the seller.

Here is a link to the esk8 calculator with my build information.

Update 1(03/28/2019)

The deck came. It looks and feels really good at $40 shipped. Almost the same size and quality as the skateshred deck from my second build, just a tiny bit wider which is perfect. It’s 9 ply, so pretty stiff and that’s preferable for speed, also I don’t need flex for city rides because I’ll be using penumatics.

Since it’s a blank board, I am starting to think of colors. The first thing that comes to my mind is black and second is gold. The medley might actually look classy if done right. I found a few pics that I can draw inspiration from.

7 Likes

Quick question, have you used a BMS from that source before?

Not the same seller, but very similar in looks and same price too. It’s what I had been using on my 1st build too. I cannibalized it( will replace motor bearings and put the setup for sale soon) and will put it in this new build. The link I posted above was what I obtained by quickly searching ebay.

Another example, https://www.ebay.com/itm/10S-36V-20A-BMS-PCB-PCM-Li-ion-Lithium-Battery-Protection-Board-for-e-bike-TE986/192843316761

My seller was bestbuystreets

Following :wink: Do you know if the motor are delta or wye?

2 Likes

I don’t know. I can ask the eLofty people. Is there any way of knowing without opening the motor? I don’t think so.

If you run them yes. You can get from the app or vesc tool. Just say it because by the data I saw it I aspect a 70 or 75Kv motor. That will a bit too much for your scope and I am afraid torque will be really affected. I am doing something similar but asked for a custom 60Kv which is still a bit to much. I asked for delta or wye because if they are delta you can always chenge the configuration to wye and get lower Kv.

1 Like

Is this considered direct drive? I thought direct drive was like the carvon motors, a motor directly on the axle that hooks DIRECTLY to the wheel, like a hub but allows any wheel. It’s hard to tell, but looks like your board has a geared system of some sort? IMG_5288

You’re right about the direct drive, the pictures on top of the post are just to show the previous builds, so yeah they have pulleys

3 Likes

The deck came. It looks and feels really good at $40 shipped. Almost the same size and quality as the skateshred deck from my second build, just a tiny bit wider which is perfect. It’s 9 ply, so pretty stiff and that’s preferable for speed, also I don’t need flex for city rides because I’ll be using penumatics.

IMG_20190328_230715 IMG_20190328_230851 IMG_20190328_230815 IMG_20190328_230835

Since it’s a blank board, I am starting to think of colors. The first thing that comes to my mind is black and second is gold. The medley might actually look classy if done right. I found a few pics that I can draw inspiration from.
image imageIMG_20190329_134825

6 Likes

Hey bud can I ask about this particular DD in your pic? I’d love to be able to use Turnigy motors but cant find any info on this hanger or any adapters needed. Thanks so much

search for fliess and you will find plenty to work through

Thank you!!

@mishrasubhransu did you finish the build? Curious to hear how the elofty DD performs.