DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

Here in Sachsen Anhalt all the Hunters i encountered were friendly and interested, not sure whats wrong in Hessen :smile:

I think a slightly louder drive is better for everyone involved.

They are overly protective of their hunting grounds around here (must be related to the amount of cash they own… all rich people with stupidly expensive 4x4s) and even stop mountain bikers and tell them they are not allowed.

LOVING watching this build! Can’t wait to see some more vids when the weather warms up for you :sunny::crazy_face:

1 Like

I like that you share this hobby, that’s great :grin: I wish I had someone to join my rides

Great video, definitely not my skill level :laughing:

:joy: I think I have to do a comparison video filmed with the same mobile and settings as I did with belt drive and FOC.

I also had an experience with a hunter, i was landkiting and he came to drive me off, took pictures of the licence plate of my car and said he gonna sue me, never happened.

With an E-MTB you are almost hidden but with a kite like 20-30m up in the skye everybody within a radius of some kilometers recognize you. Almost every single time someone came and said it’s forbidden here, go away. That’s one reason why I decided to switch to an electric mountainboard and this was one of the best decisions in my life :sunglasses:

Thank you, really appreciate it! Would love to go for a ride with you and try your kickers but unfortunately you are almost exactly on the other side of this planet :wink:

I need a action cam but can’t afford a gopro, I’ve heard the apeman a80 is not bad but the battery sucks (like 20 minutes runtime only). Or do you know a good and cheap (I should know this is not possible :rofl:) cam?

Another hint: I’m now a big fan of O-Rings (or rubber washers) on bolts. I use them on the bolts for the electronics enclosure. The future will tell but on my first ride nothing came loose. The last time wihout O-Rings the box was loose after the first ride and i had to use thread locker. It seems like it’s working without thread locker when I use these O-Rings, I’ll see.

I love the idea of @trampa using O-Rings between spacer and bearing against rattling but the O-Rings are too small in my opinion. First you need a woman with long nails to slide it on the axle and if you need to take the wheel off (which I did 5 times in the fields when I had a flat) then one bearing, the spacer and the O-Ring flies away, not nice in grass. Now I always carry a small white blanket in my backpack :laughing: for such situations because once I had to search 10-15 min an O-Ring in deep grass. When I had the puncture it was before dusk but after changing the tube it was dark and I realized the O-Ring is missing.

Anyhow, the Trampa O-Ring for 12mm axle has an inside diameter of 10mm that’s why you have to stretch it to get it on the axle. Actually I’m using different O-Rings on my MTB which are really easy to slide on the axle. They have an inside diameter of 11.8mm and fit perfectly. They are 2.1mm thick, the original ones are 2mm but I don’t recognize any difference.

4 Likes

I had my second ride for about 20km and it’s so freaking great, it’s time to get dirty. With belt drive I would have a hard time now with cleaning up everything :laughing:

Inspired by Nowind I use my snowboard goggles and like it very much. Also the fact that people can’t see where I am watching is genious. Also in case I have to flee from police and they catch me I could say “I didn’t see you”. I think I’ll buy a similar one but for summer. Now I remember all the insects in my eyes last year.

For the very first time I used a selfie stick to catch some footage and have to say this is scary and dangerous No idea how you all manage this. If you missed it in the video, at 01:50 i almost crashed because I checked the angle of the mobile instead of watching the ground. At 08:00 you see how I deal with puddles. Also I have to work on my filming skills

On both rides all bolts of one wheel hub adapter which is connected to the wheel spur gear came loose. @Nowind any idea? As you recommend I used very little amount of thread locker on this bolts but strange that only one side gets loose. I have a feeling it is because of hub/spoke/bearing wobble. Amongst my 12 superstar hubs only 1 is true, the other 11 wobble. For the direct drive I use the perfect hub plus the almost perfect one. Maybe I need to remove the O-Rings and mount the wheels more loose with a bit rattling. Or should I use more thread locker?

8 Likes

Nice save at ~ 2 min in! Looked like you were going down for a second :+1:

3 Likes

I was really lucky, what you can’t see on the video is that there are bushes and small trees on both sides on the narrow path. I have no idea how I managed to make the last curve, the brown thing is a massive bush followed by trees.

I ordered an action cam to shoot some better footage (hopefully not of crashes :laughing:). The new edition of the A80 seems to have better batteries so I give it a try, also I like 120FPS in HD.

1 Like

I’ve had some close calls as well. Seems like hitting the throttle kinda helps pull out of it. Worst fall had was pre-motors, just going downhill. Carving too hard on gravel and iced out. Sucks falling with the bindings!

So true :rofl: Do you use heelstraps? I think I’ll mount mine again, they could save my feet from braking when falling at higher speed. I used them only once, they felt very well in the bmx track but at slow speed when turning or on a steep hill everytime I lost the balance I tumbled down like a stone forward or backwards and felt like a idiot. But maybe this is the price for more safety, in this case I need ass padding :joy:.

1 Like

Yeah, I use straps. Feel less likely to fall with 'em, more likely to hurt myself if I do though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:joy: OK, hope it’s not too painful because sometimes I have the feeling it is good when I can fall away from the board. Once I had an ice out on loose gravel like you, suddenly I was standing in mud puddles in my socks only, my shoes remained in the bindings :laughing:, that was a weird experience.

BTW I just realized I have another puncture :tired_face: What is the strongest tube in this world? I’m tired of all the balloons…

1 Like

Lol yeah seen some vids of people avoiding some nasty falls by slipping out of their bindings at last minute.

Sucks about the flat. Are you using trampa tires (alpha lite or whatever)? Kept getting flats with those things. Little goat head thorns and whatnot. Went through some bark and came out with both front tires flat. So far I like the Evolve street tires the best. Dk about their knobbies though.

1 Like

Actually I’m using thin 8" “wheelchair tires”,j wanted to test them because they are half of the price but I don’t trust them. It’s quite hard to spend 70€ for 4 tires every 600km.

I use the CST tubes which trampa sells. This is my 6th flat within 625km. I need to buy more bicycle repair kits or try out the innova tubes.

I have them, too. Yes they seem very thick and durable but maybe not the best in offroad conditions but definitely would help against flats.

:roll_eyes: I think I stop complaining and start to carry 2 replacement tubes in my backpack additional to my workshop.

Green slime stuff seems to help. Saw a thread recently where someone mentioned using an alternative that worked better. Can’t remember what it was called though. Have to dig around.

Had a blowout recently from riding on bald tires. Fkn covered in green slime. Had it all the way up my back :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey top tip with the o-rings! I used those rubber gromet things on my ultrabox when I was using it before - got a nice new dual CNC case for my FOCBOXs now and have just glued some thick rubber to the underside and velcro’d it to my board!!! So far so good and I’ve landed pretty hard off the kickers and it hasn’t moved. Funny thing actually waytching some of my landings off the bigger kicker in slow-mo the board nearly always bottoms out and the way it all contorts is terrifying - I can’t believe I haven’t smashed or cracked any of my parts yet either! I tell you what the the bottom of my board has some serious battle scars from dirt tracks though.

Did you buy the action cam already? For what it’s worth I’m using the Thieye t5e which you can grab here: https://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_575345.html

It’s performed pretty well so far and for the money you can’t complain!

Dude, back to kickers - I’d bloody love to ride with you too. Or anyone for that matter!!! It’s bloody lonely carrying that bloody thing around and riding around like a loner. Hard to push yourself too without the encouragement of someone else riding with you. I’m actually from the UK orirgnally so next time I’m home to visit the fam I’ll try and look you up!

Anyways, at work at the mo but looking forward to your next vid. Hoping there’s a fair bit of swearing in this one too! :smile:

1 Like

@rich If they come loose add more Loctide… the hint with the aware of too much was only after seeing people adding a ton of locker and turning out the coils…

Really nice build Richard, super clean. Great

2 Likes

The diyeboard 8" tires lasted a bit longer (about double what you mentioned) /never had a flat, but they are hard and stiff. Most likely a different /cheaper composition, but who cares.

Haven’t checked if they fit my trampa hubs yet.

It’s got tears, bulged…but no flat :sweat_smile:

2b2437ac2c406cfe68bd81e54b03b30e349906e0_1_375x500

4 Likes

Holy shit that’s insane! They look ready to pop! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@telnoi this is an epic picture of a tyre :rofl: they must wobble as hell, but I like the fact that you never had flats.

This is how my old trampa treads look compared to a new one, i thought when I see the structure of the tyre it’s time to swap before they blow up.

Saw that, too. Looks interesting and I’ll try something like that.

Hope you get rid of the heat problems with this case, should help. Nice to hear the velcro holds up, I also wanted to velcro everything but had no balls in the end and mounted threaded inserts :laughing: it feels much safer for me.

The cam you linked looks good, I already ordered an Apeman A80 but if it’s bad I can send it back and order ThiEYE :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . I think compared to my mobile any action cam looks great,hehe…

:joy: I’m sure that’s the case

Thank you :blush: I’m really happy with the build beside the bulky case but I like the fact that I can jump on it and swap batteries inside the bolted case, for now it’s ok. Man, the direct drive is really major league :hugs:! Yesterday i rode different paths and through small bushes without any problems. With the belt drive I had to stop regularly to remove all the branches, leaves and rubbish (and couldn’t ride through a bush). With this drive I feel 100% unstoppable, great!

Ok, i’ll try more thread locker, it was more homeopathic.

Do you personally use spacers and O-Rings or not? In your tutorial video you mount the wheels whithout, that looks easy but with O-Rings it’s hard to tell when to stop tightening, on the front truck it’s easy.

I got mail from china today because last year it was always so dangerous in the dark, used this customized working lamp before:

But now I need some serious light and found it. It’s full metal, no plastic at all.

Jesus that is bright as hell :rofl:, exactly what I wanted, each lamp is 18W/12V/1.5A

4 Likes