Disassembled and made safe, pre-balancing and float charging

Well most of the others are at 4.10 V except for the one that’s at 4.2. You think Ill be able to get away with just charging the first set thats at 3.67 V to 4.10 V like the majority of rest of the cells? This way I can avoid having to disassemble the whole thing.

1 Like

Yea. Think that will do it. Just don’t know how you’re going to do it.

Yeah I bought a usb charger for them. I’ll just have to pull it out and monitor the voltage every so often until I reach 4.1 V on the first cell set.

1 Like

Try that :slight_smile:

Wish I had seen this first. This article explains my situation very well.

https://www.orionbms.com/general/pre-balancing-cells/

It appears to have worked. Learning new costly lessons everyday

1 Like

Changed the title of this thread to help others with the same issues. In order for the bms to balance my cells they had to be prebalanced. After prebalancing 11 of the series to 4.10 V, and the 12th reaching 4.20 V the bms started to balance the cells. It trims everything down to 4.08 V but this is not a fast process. It took about 36 hours after the charger light turned green.

2 Likes

Glad you got it worked out. Learning is a painful and long process sometimes. But fun. Super fun.

This has been helpful. Been struggling with my battery and I think this is the ticket. Been a good thread. Thanks

2 Likes

Well I went through the trouble of making this big battery and it doesn’t even fit. I guess I thought because of this image of the evo eboosted enclosure with a 14S, that I could fit a 12S4P and wedge the bestech up in the back. Nope about two inches two long.

I guess my only option now is to sell it or make a new build that can fix it. Anyone want this or know if a good long deck that I might be able to fit it on? I’ll probably pair it with the carvon XL when I finally get it.

Or maybe I can just find a thin 12S bms to change to but I really don’t feel like having to change up this battery.

looks awesome as is. id skip the bms and hook up two 6s balance plugs and connect to this https://www.ebay.com/p/HobbyKing-Turnigy-DLUX-Lipo-Battery-Cell-Display-and-Balancer-2s-6s/1180189308?iid=261667879653&chn=ps

and charge to only 4.1 probably.

Hmm that’s cool. I guess to use it I’d have to get a variable charger.

No need to keep the charger plugged in after led has turned green for the balancing to take place. When bms starts balancing the cells, it will do so without the charger.

Figured I’d post this here just as a resource. Made a couple of batteries since and I really like this setup. Here’s my progress on a 12S6P.

Still learning small lessons along the way. Used the high setting on my hot glue gun and ended up burning tiny lines through my original shrink wrappers when binding the parallel cells. Switched to the low temp and then half of them came loose I was adding my fishpaper strips. About to try to reinforce with super glue. These dual cell layers definitely need to be secure to each other.

1 Like