DIY 18650 Battery Related Questions

I would love to be wrong! Report back with your findings

Make 4 layers for your series connection by putting 2x 2layers like this image No way you are drawing 120A constant. Even 60A constant is far off. And the bursts are also no problem.

And do not even think about the idea to solder something to the battery. Why did you buy a spot welder.

2 Likes

I would like to add to Ackmaniac, try welding strips one over another on two dummy cells and see how many you can get welded reliably, because the more you weld on the harder it gets to do it correctly. You might want a beefier Lipo for that action. 3 should be easy to do on one another without issues. Hey, having more thermal mass wont make things worse :slight_smile:

Edit: there is something wrong with the replying thing, two posts in a row now that I made suddenly had a quote of another post which I definitely did not make. Anyone else getting this?

Nothing wrong here.

Should have inspected his layout a bit more. U are right, that config should work nicely

I saw in a YouTube video by EbikeSchool that when stacking nickel I should use a “pyramid style” of layering. Something like this:

Would this be more reliable or would I be okay just stacking two layers to the closest cells in each series connection as shown in your diagram?

2 layers at the closest have the same effect. The orange lines in your picture carry 20A and the red lines 40A. BUt it also doesn’t hurt if you add one strip in the length of the orange lines and one for the red lines.

Double layered nickel on the series connections. Hopefully it holds up. Edit: image didn’t upload