DIY 6S to 12S BMS with CAN - DieBieMS

Would you mind willing share your ‘‘Teensyduino-project’’? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn´t mind it is planned to share the project but there is only one feauture missing before I share the code. I will implement the feauture that the Teensy is capable of getting the actual VESC config over UART and uses the actual in the VESC configured parameters for max and min current and voltages. So that I don´t have to set the currents and voltages three times (first time in VESC1 second time in VESC2 and the third time in the Teensy). I hope I find time in the next two weeks to implement and test this so that I could document and share my code.

1 Like

Al those electrical engineering art looks like magic to me. Very nice work!

@JTAG Would it be possible to add a 5 LED battery voltmeter to this via the port for the OLED?

I think it would be easier to implement and read on a longboard. Similar to what Boosted now has.

Bestech also has it on their higher end boards. It indicated charging too.

3 Likes

Port for the display is I2C bus which has 2 data wires, VCC and GND. It can’t be used for this purpose, but it’s not a big deal to add a few solder pads for the LED wires. He would have to redesign the PCB and assemble a new one. Implementation in SW would be really easy. Maybe we could expect it in the new HW version?

One could also make a I2C to LED pcb, with some smd LEDs on, using the same or another I2C ID, then it could just send data to both IDs, and ignore if one of then isnt connected… or check on boot which ID is attached, and only send data to one of them

2 Likes

Cool project.

Hi all, Sorry for the long delay, I had some awesome other projects to work on xD.

The LED battery indicator desired is actually VERY easy to implement :stuck_out_tongue:. For example this one has I2C and can be connected directly to the Display connector on my BMS:

This display would need only minimal software support.

Other progress:

I finally found the time + motivation to connect the BMS and Meanwell charger to my 6S longboard. Next ill try to hack a SD card holder to the BMS to start logging cell voltages + current in order to develop and evaluate a state of charge / health algorithm.

8 Likes

The board looks very beatup! used alot :smiley:

YES! The board is used every day :kissing_closed_eyes::heart_eyes:.

@JTAG Wow, can´t wait to try one. Seems like its almost ready for production :slight_smile:

1 Like

Speaking of production, how did you assemble yours? Did you use a reflow oven or did you use a hot air station and a soldering iron?

Also price per PCB is around $40 on OshPark. I think that is pretty good pricing. Not sure about BOM pricing yet.

1 Like

i want 10 of these. Seriously.

1 Like

I follow this project since a while, it’s good to see HW seems to be ready. What about SW ? Do you have a feature list ? How do you plan to connect it to the VESC ?

Making both BMS and VESC communicate allow tons of awesome features !!

Via CAN bus I’m pretty sure.

Bms to vesc communication would be insane. Could setup custom performance profiles for battery charge, statistics streaming through vesc. More data available to vesc the better!

1 Like

According to the thread title, that make sense :smile: I’m an idiot. :grin: So the plan would be to have VESC as master and BMS (and second VESC if dual setup) as slaves ?

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure about that. Don’t worry I’m an idiot too :confused:

I screwed up my battery now I am desperately trying to make a decent battery and BMS setup again.

@JTAG nice work on this. One thing i that will be nice to have is a storage mode to give the battery pack a longer life by avoiding the chemical reactions that take place when the pack is charge +75% and is not use within a couple of days.

This can be implemented with a 96hr counter that gets activated when the board is power off. After the 96hr the BMS will check the cell voltage and if +75% capacity it will discharge the cells until reaches the storage voltage for the current chemistry.

Even if the discharge load apply by the BMS it will help avoid the reactions and give longer life to the pack.

4 Likes

It would be pretty easy to implement through software I would think. I’d rather have a selectable mode on a bluetooth connect smartphone app.

My idea is to have a way to talk and get info from both the Vesc and DieBie with one Bluetooth receiver and have an app available to calculate speed, controller data and BMS settings and data. Having charge percentage and notifications popup on the app would be great too.