I just wanted to share my recent build experience and first ride. First, the build:
- Buy near complete enertion raptor components from a poor soul who gave up and sold for near half price on eBay.
- Invest hours on forums, learn how to solder, minor in EE, and start making.
- Burn up your VESC.
- Cry a little bit.
- Shelf project for 6 months.
- Get bored with current projects, buy Ollin vesc’s, send to @longhairedboy to finish.
- Run up to the mail man like he is Santa when your board returns.
- Go out and tear shit up.
Now my initial thoughts: there is a lot of fanboy loyalty to various brands on the market, be it DIY brands or complete out of box brands. I have a boosted and an all terrain evolve board I use. I like them, but they are different boards, like a like a jeep and a Porsche. They do different things. It’s stupid to compare the two.
The enertion raptor is the bees knees, that’s for sure. To follow the car analogy, it’s like a corvette that your uncle frank modded and took out the governor. It’s loud and obnoxious and does what it is supposed to do. It goes fast, questionable plastic steering wheel/remote and all.
I haven’t topped it out because I feel like it might bite back if I’m an idiot. I’ll add more thoughts after a few more rides.