DIY Fiberglass Enclosure How to & Tips

Also in the next few months i will be making a vacuumed version of this so I get nice corners and will make a better mold

Wax paper is your friend. Fiberglass or epoxy will not stick to it.

Regular packaging tape does the job :wink:

1 Like

what you used to vacuum it? is it enough to use this vacuum bags for clothes etc.? won´t it stick to the last layer?

I didnt vacuum this one the results would a lot better Make sure that resin wont stick to it And that the resin doesnt get in to the pump or whatever

1 Like

if resin don´t stick to the brown tape, I assume it will hopefully also not stick to a plastic pack. Thx so far!

Can i lay fiberglass over some plastic and use that intead of making a mold? I bought some ikea utensil organizers and i want to fiberglass over them to sturdy em up a bit…

Put some regular brown tape over so the resin does not stick

Is it bad if its sticks? I wouldn’t mind keeping the plastic with the enclosure. Just use fiberglass to make the plastic stronger

I used a vaccum bag and to make sure to have a better finish you need to make a sandwich made of: Starting from the bottom. Last layer of fiberglass socked with resin (no bubbles have to be present, really important) Ply sheet (Nylon sheet that allow the excess resin to go through but doesn’t stick to it) Breathable tissue (you can by it or you can use kitchen paper or newspaper) to absorb the excess resin Vacuum bag (the one from cloth is enough)

1 Like

Didn’t realize how easy this was… i half assed it in my back yard with limited supplies and it actually came out pretty decent. Only about 30 dollarss total and the best part is you dont wait for shipping!!!

2 Likes

Yea, and you learn stuff!

3 Likes

It may not be perfect but im still pretty damn proud for my first tryimage

2 Likes

Heres a question for you… is the an easy waay to cut fiberglass and how do u get it out your clothes…

I cut it rough with the shitty vibrating tool that looks like a dremel, then just sanded it down a bit

Just try shaking it out a bit then put it in the washing maschine alone

If you mean trimming the finished fibreglass I try to use extraction whenever I cut it. A lot of tools can have an attachment with a vacuum. Either the vibrating saw or grinder with a thin disk are good. I use a band saw with extraction and always wear a mask.

I had a mask and used a hack saw but it was tough as shit. Broke a pair of scissors… i didnt have my dremel with me but i feel like it would use up a lot of discs.

I cant wait for my next build…i really feel i can make huge improvements by investing more time. This was def a rush job to get the build mobile

1 Like

Theres a type of blade for jigsaws used for cutting tiles which is pretty good too. They go on forever. If you can get someone holding a vac that will make it a more pleasant job.

1 Like

Reviving this topic because enclosures and new material questions.

Has anyone tried to use Diolen Fiber as the outside layer?

I think it’s a hybrid fiber with nylon, something almost kevlar but not there yet, moldable freehand.

It has quite the mechanical properties and I guess using 2-3 fiberglass layers for stiffness and then plopping a Diolen layer might make the enclosure nigh-indestructible?

For example @bigben, maybe you might have some insight in “exotic” materials. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve not used this but I might ask my supplier if he can source something like that?

3 Likes