DIY Trampa long 35 E-MTB | Dual VESC SIX | Sensored EMAX GT5345

I agree with Squad. DiY can be expensive in this hobby. If you go the diy route, you’re not buying parts that are massed produced so they are not so inexpensive. (They are produced in large batches, most likely, with various degrees of quality control.) Also, all the other stuff like tools, consumables, fasteners, etc. really adds up. But for most that go the diy route it’s really about enjoying the creation process and building something that is customized to your liking.

1 Like

Mate the most expensive is to buy twice (-; Your budget is so small, too small for a nice MTB I would save some more money before i buy something like in the amazon link.

Go with a used Trampa, get @Idea ´s mounts, some SK3 Motors and Hobbywing ESC, Hobbyking Lipo … just my 2 cents

Cheers Jenso

7 Likes

I built an eMTB because i wanted something rock solid, would not break and handle almost any terrain. You can’t cheap out on a board that is going to be up and down jump, kerbs, offroading etc. You will spend more time repairing that riding.

Spend the money knowing you have something that is not going to fail at 20mph while siding through a forest. Its going to hurt hitting a tree that fast.

1 Like

Hi, so the VESCs SIX arrived some time ago and yesterday I finally was able to mount them in my board. You know, exams and my broken forearm :joy:

VESC tool seems like really user friendly environment, set up was really easy and quite intuitive. Finally NTC 10K thermistors I installed in my motors at the beginning of this build have purpose because VESC SIX monitors motor temp.

Thanks to sketch Frank @trampa sent to beta users I prepared everything earlier and VESCs installation was piece of cake, I only had to bore top cover pcb holes to fit M5 screws. For now I have my motors set up in sensored FOC and precision of rpm control is superb.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to give it a test ride for few more weeks because I still have plaster cast on my forearm and wrist, since my casterboard crash.

As You can see below everything in my electronics box is packed tight :sunglasses: and VESCs should run cool because they’re sitting on top of huge passive colled radiator.

This is going to be FUN, can’t wait to give it a test ride :grin:

9 Likes

Plus they fit so nice and neat into that UK 206 Box . As if the box was made for the VESC SIX.

Frank

1 Like

Amazing build squad! Are you from Poland? :wink:

1 Like

If you can, contact @Skateman

He had ordered it. Im not sure is it going to be the same amazon board but it is very similar and might be an ‘earlier version’ of it.

Hi squad! Very nice set up! Where did you buy this perfectly sized heatsink?

@LukePL Yes, indeed, I am :sunglasses:

@DavidC I milled it myself out of raw aluminum stock, it’s written few posts earlier.

1 Like

Hey @squad amazing build! I am thinking about building a mtb as my second esk8 and wondering how much one would cost. Would you mind sharing how much this cost you?

Oh man, it’s really difficult to put certain price tag on this build, there was many of R&D trials, broken end mills and so on. I’m not able to give You total cost because I didn’t keep track of it and as You could see in this build log not every solution worked flawlessly as it was supposed to, so there’s lots of wasted money. In my case doing something full DIY does not mean to cut corners and reduce costs, I want to achieve pleasing result, functionally and aesthetically, which ends up costing more than any available solutions.

2 Likes

Ok no worries man. Thanks anyway

I want to know how the temp sensors go? I want to do the same but heard that the code in vesc4 didnt implement it even though it was there in the hardware, is that true? I’m wishing your arm would heal faster so we can see the beast in the wild! :smiling_imp:

I think if you put all together raw cost of a well made top of the line eMTB build would be 3k euro ++

1 Like

I used 10K NTC thermistors glued with heat conducting glue between stator ribs. AFAIK VESC 4.XX didn’t support external temp sensors, maybe that will change with the newest version of VESC Tool and firmware upgrade from Ben for 4.XX VESCs.

1 Like

As far as I know that will work. The new FW allows to set a soft and hard cutoff in case of critical temperatures.

Frank

I just had a chance to ride my board in pretty rough terrain today, and must say it finally became what I wanted it to be from the beginning. If VESC SIX would be arround when I stared this build I’d probably save some money even despite of its price. Ultimate eMTB controller, precise and powerful. This board gives me now feeling of safety, brakes are so smooth, not comparable to anything else on the market. @rpasichnyk Bluetooth module allowed me to log my ride, great app with great support :+1:t2:

After the run me and the board were all covered in mud so I decided to test how well thought my design was and hosed it all down. Stainless hardware and watertight enclosures performed flawlessly.

Board after ride.

Today was another day of hard abuse, I tried some pretty hardcore uphill off-road at the beginning of this log but it was to wet and wheels didn’t have enough grip, managed to throw few over current faults. Then I bombed the same path from the opposite side.

And the same trail ridden one more time.

And pics from the trail.

13 Likes

Perfect setup, thanks for all this feedback with goods photos !!! We want video now, terrain looks like the perfectly good playground :imp:

1 Like

Solid build mate. Waiting on my VESC6 from Trampa right now. So glad you went with the VESC. I been trying to ride my MAX6 ESC it’s just sofa king uncomfortable to ride… that jerky “I am going to take your life”.

It was my first get her done cheap build.

How is the acceleration and brake?

2 Likes

Brakes and acceleration are just how you want them to be, they can be really smooth if you gradually pushy the throttle but You can also do wheelie or burn rubber if you smash the lever really fast, same goes for brakes. And all of this was after default settings set with wizards. There is so much possibilities with VESC tool that you can have it set just the way you want.

@Riako I would record something if only I had some handy cam other than my iPhone, unfortunately I don’t :unamused:

Tanks for nice words guys!