DIYES VESC Track Record?

I have an Enertion, diyelectric and Ollin VESC. I have a Carvon V2 and V2.5 singles and have tried both FOC and BLDC. I have overheating issues with the V2 on all 3, but at different levels. Ollin is by far the best performer followed by Diy then Enertion. The Diy VESC is just fine all day for flats and short inclines. The Enertion cuts out on any inclines and does okay on flats. The Ollin only has heat issues when I push it hard. With the V2.5, all 3 VESCs work fine in BLDC, but on FOC, the Enertion and Diy VESCs don’t run as smooth as the Ollins VESC.

If I had a choice, I’d stick with the Ollin VESC. Better performance and high quality workmanship.

2 Likes

25 up hill is pretty impressive. still seem oddly inefficient! I wonder if your front wheels are fighting the rear…

back to topic, I got a vesc from diy, first or second run I think, after the usual months of delays for vesc production I got it. but its just been sitting on my desk as a backup does…

Was the Enertion from an older Chinese-made batch or more recent USA-made?

This maybe getting a little sidetracked from the op of diy vescs, but I’ve run 2 enertion vescs with heatsinks on FOC, a 10s battery, dual 190kv motors up 10%-25+% hill daily with no issues from the vescs for about a month now

Not sure. I got it in July if that helps.

@Luke duals will put less stress on your VESC than a single. Hubs or belts?

@Mrmoonlight belts, and pretty pathetic performance from a single from when my second motor was broken

Belts are more forgiving on high KV motors than hubs. My Carvon V2 single has a 149kv motor and it maxes out my VESC’s capabilities. A single belt would put a lot more stress on your VESC than a dual, but less than a single hub. If your going up a lot of hills, dual is the way to go. I prefer singles, because I like the weight savings and minimizing motor drag, but it’s a trade off when it comes to performance.

So far it’s pretty obvious from the lack of complaint threads/posts that Dexter@ has received speaks a lot without saying a word. :v:

True, that’s what I thought at first. But it’s difficult to make that assumption due to the idea that the lack of complaint threads/posts might be due to DIY not selling nearly as many VESCs as Enertion does.

1 Like

More likely prompt and reliable customer service so people don’t have to result to complaining on the forum.

Also plausible, but DIY’s customer service regarding the VESC is just like Enertion’s - if you don’t buy the extended warranty and you have any issues, even on first start up on the bench for motor detection, you’re on your own unless you can prove it was a manufacturing defect and not your fault. For this reason, I opted not to buy one.

1 Like