Do I understand electronics correctly? + questions

I just want to sum up my knowledge and for somebody to confirm/deny it.

Battery

• XsYp - X̶ ̶a̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶e̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶Y̶ ̶p̶a̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶r̶a̶r̶e̶l̶.̶ ̶e̶.̶g̶.̶ ̶1̶0̶s̶3̶p̶ ̶1̶0̶ ̶c̶e̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶a̶c̶k̶,̶ ̶3̶ ̶p̶a̶c̶k̶s̶,̶ ̶3̶0̶ ̶t̶o̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶c̶e̶l̶l̶s̶.̶ X amount of cells in series (that’s what the “s” stands for), Y amount of cells in parallel so 10s3p is 30 cells, 10 in series, 3 in parallel

BMS

• Keeps the level of multiple batteries the same.
  • Is n̶o̶t̶ involved in battery charging
  • Is not ok to use multiple ones, e.g. 2x6s bms for 12s battery
  • Specific smart bms can use higher one on smaller battery, e.g. 10s bms on 6s battery

Charger

• Y̶o̶u̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶p̶o̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶c̶e̶.̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶a̶n̶c̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶.̶ You can use bms + power brick to charge lipo batteries. Or lipo alarm and balance charger.

Misc

• You need antispark switch/anti spark loop key to avoid damage on connector And to avoid current rush that can destroy components.

Anything else to add to these? Thanks.

Battery

XsYp - X amount of cells in series (thats what the “s” stands for), Y amount of cells in parallel so 10s3p is 30 cells, 10 in series, 3 in parallel

BMS

• keeps the level of cells correct
  • it is involved in battery charging and discharging but can be bypassed for discharging
  • no, there should only be one bms to keep everything leveled
  • normaly not, but there are some smart bms out there that are able to use a range of cells like 7s - 13s BMS

Charger

You can use a BMS to charge and a laptop style charging brick, or you use a lipo alarm and a balance charger.

Misc

Antispark should be used to avoid high inrush currents to destroy your components

Edited my post. Can you direct me to some material related to bms charging? Thanks.

Just to clarify more, a 10s 3p would normally be 10 packs of 3 cells in parallel, then those 10 sets are connected in series.

Something to add would be what the C rating of a pack means. The C rating is the amperage that the pack is able to deliver and you get to that answer by doing the Ah of the pack times the C rating. So a 5000mah 20c pack can deliver 100A (5*20=100).

A BMS with 18650 Liion is not crucial to have. You can charge without one.

Also I have seen BMSs connected in series - but that is unusual.

The misc part is right, but I use my board without a switch, so plugging and unplugging every time without any problems about half a year now. A loop key/switch is very nice to have, but not really necessary in my experience.