Do not buy Lead Free soldering wire

I havnt seen any kind of discussion about it here before, which is wierd, take in consideration its a really good one. I Actually have one ordered right now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I smoke while I solder, so Iā€™m all good, lead in everthing I say, lol

i have this one (branded as SEEED mini soldering iron) and i have to disagree. It just doesnā€™t get hot enough/have enough power to solder anything large

I have a reflow over, conveyor based, 3 heat zonesā€¦ picked it up second hand with a pick and place machineā€¦ wouldnā€™t do it again! I canā€™t even source the BOM more cost effectively than the Chinese can supply turn key solution.
For prototyping of single sided boards I would suggest a hot plate is fine, we used one for years before we had the oven, no issues, plus you can push any components around that donā€™t snap into place. Hot plate is good because it heats the component foot prints first, important if you have thick components, no point soaking plastic connectors with heat, when you are just trying to solder the feet. Double sided boards are a different issue, then I would suggest a single draw style oven but I havenā€™t personally tried one.

Itā€™s a 65w iron but only if you supply it at the top end of itā€™s wide voltage range. Perhaps your power source was limiting it?

You can also change the tips (which include the heating element)

I havenā€™t had any issues soldering xt60 or mt90 connectors.

1 Like

huh, maybe thatā€™s that case. I was using the PSU that came with it, which iā€™m sure is different from yours.

1 Like