DO NOT use Friends and Family PayPal!

I hope that’s not speaking from experience @chaka

I do my best to take it in stride and chalk it up to a learning experience. The key is to not let things like that get you down as business owner or as a customer.

Here is my two cents on Paypal “friends and family” payments. If you use it and are neither you have already entered into a dishonest transaction by screwing the third party, i.e. PayPal. If you in turn get screwed it is merely a continuation of an event you already set in motion by breaking PayPal’s terms.

Lol… What about heatsinks that you say your gonna start on x day 3 different times, and then 19 days pass and you still haven’t started… Then get mad at the customer and say your banned from ordering because you(chaka) failed your commitment timeline three times.

That’s a good reason to have PayPal protection. In case ya know a seller bullshits you. But hey at least you refund things when you know you haven’t started anything in the timelines you provide.

Lolol

Guess there is two sides to every story huh^ lol

1 Like

It wasn’t @sorrentino. He did not order 40 heatsinks. But yeah, I tend to ban anyone who throws a fit and gets nasty. Basically their business is better suited for a pure profiteer than a small builder manufacture.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Asking for a refund after a custom order

Pure profiteer doesn’t exist in the DIY world. All the stuff we have is archaic for the most part. People have just apparently grown accustomed to shit service it seems. If people expect it why would the seller change their ways?!? Don’t blame them at all. If I had money in the game and this is the status quo why change?

I’m generally the most patient person in the world and out of 3 people I’ve dealt with 2 out of 3 have had horrible customer service, and some have been absolutely awful. Like “I knowingly sold you a faulty product and even admitted to you that I knew it is a faulty product but I won’t just give you your refund back until I get nagged for 30 days” awful… lol

Until this gets bigger and we are working with companies instead of dealing with a guy in a garage (so to speak) the issue will persist. Unless of course you are dealing with the few people that have exceptional customer service.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Deck Recommendation- Landyachtz Versus Original Skateboard

It’ll be interesting when they get this facial recognition thing down. Probably be able to hold your phone up to someone and see how many stars they have floating over their head. Bunch of angry emojis dancing around :smile:

Also worth noting:

DO NOT USE PAYPAL WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

Almost all accidental deaths occur within or very close to home. That’s because that’s where your freinds and family are. They are the ones that hurt you the most. So why the hell would you give them money?

Just strictly deal with total strangers and do so as a business and you’ll be fine.

6 Likes

I’ve been around longer than the internet!!! Matter of fact, I’ve been around longer than color tv!!!

4 Likes

your just about 45 years older than I am :wink:

If not use Paypal, how about using a different service.

Custom made goods are not protected under Paypal purchase protection with a couple of caveats - the merchant has to disclose this thoroughly upfront though and make sure they have evidence to support their case.

Generally, US contract law handles transactions of goods versus services differently – for goods it’s all about acceptable delivery before payment is due and in most states the rules are defined by something called the uniform commercial code, for services it’s all about substantial completion of services (70% is a rough rule of thumb) before payment is due. Custom orders look more like services which is why the line is where it is - most credit cards have the same rule too. In really rough terms the rationale is that if a seller receives returned goods he can always resell the item but it’s not like you can do the same for services. This is all slightly different by state but for the most part this is true nationally.

Damn, this is rough, I have sold working escs for less than they were worth and bought stuff through people on this site and there were never any scammers or bullshit that wasn’t on my end or their end. I guess this is what happens when a forum gets big like this, it goes to shit. The ONLY problem I ever had selling an buying was USPS taking forever to ship. I have two transactions under my belt and hope to staylike that unless I know who Im buying from. Fuck everyone who wastes someone elses time trying to scam a couple of 20s,

2 Likes

this can be done with software. no need for a person to be the middle man.

I don’t want to commit, but I might be able to help depending on my schedule at the time

Old thread worth bumping. Still happens to the best of us. Im guilty of sending most payments friends and family so far in my esk8 purchases. But ive been lucky.

1 Like

I am guilty of that too, but I usually see the people I use F&F to make payments to in person at least 1 or 2 times a year.

1 Like

I ask peeps to use f/f because they already have a part ive shipped in-hand.

5 Likes