DO NOT use Friends and Family PayPal!

Paypal has seller protection. If you follow the requirments for seller protection you should be good. Things do go wrong sometimes but I would never use friends and family as a buyer because your screwed either way with using that option imo.

1 Like

The biggest protection for sellers is tracking on shipping. If you show you have a tracking number and its on its way, paypal is more willing to side with you as a seller. And as always take pictures when you send and recieve things to prove the condition they are in.

To take it a step further…If a seller suggests friends and family don’t buy from them.

Lots of us use paypal as sellers and don’t have issues with people doing chargebacks. Biggest reason? We deliver exactly what we say we’re selling. And if there ever is an issue, we take care of it quickly.

8 Likes

That’s the way to do it, unless of course, you don’t want to grow your business…

Maybe we should have some sort of rating system for buyers and sellers?

Anyway all good ideas… the escrow can work, I’ve used that type of system paying for expensive services to people that you aren’t sure of…of course there’s an added fee, a separate website, various account crap involved doing that way…but maybe it’s unavoidable…

We def need something simple and protects both parties as much as it can.somethng that makes sense. Anything overly complicated will just fail…and people will go right back to dealing like black market.

2 Likes

I think a system of rating the sellers will work. A system of rating buyers is difficult. You truly limit the size of the market that way. The only seller protection available is tracking + photos prior to embarkment + shipping insurance.

With those (3) measures i think you are as good as protected. Also when you do the transaction send the buyer the photos of the packaged product and tracking number. It will deter miscreance on their part.

1 Like

i don’t want to commit to anything but i could probably roll a new webapp to facilitate escrow.

build in a workflow, have funds sent to internal “escrow” account, and have it only release once the package is confirmed received.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! People would know they can trust me even though I’m young. An app is what we really need though. This site is atrocious on mobile

I have lost money paying with a check mailed via USPS, someone along the way got the envelope and “washed” the check and made out to some fake company and cashed, I lost $7,000 for a few days until the bank reversed it. Cash would be an issue as well. It’s a percentage game, eventually someone’s going to get jacked.

Holy fuck. I didn’t think anyone actually did that :joy:. ‘‘Twas just a joke

did what? use mail? or wrote checks? I got one stupid thing in my like that doesn’t do online payments or bills.

I was amazed anyone still did check washing, that’s some old scammer

Haha I meant mailing money. Doesn’t seem like a good idea to me especially with USPS, they are known for stealing packages

1 Like

I have never written a check in my life, and chances are, I will never write a check. By the time I get to the age where writing checks becomes viable, all payments will probably be PayPal-esque

just a quick workflow for escrow system:

How do you think ebay was working before paypal… you have to send money by the mail sometimes…

PayPal is older than I am. So is eBay. I was under the impression that eBay was founded after PayPal

Lol, ebay has been around wayyyy longer. Have you ever listened to Weird al Yankovic’s ebay song? 10/10 would recommend.

Shit, i feel old for being 19.

3 Likes

you guys all sound young as hell. eBay is older. PayPal was awesome for buyers…then eBay acquired PayPal. I used to sell stuff on eBay in college when fees were not bad. When PayPal went to eBay it sucked because eBay basically charges seller 3 times, Listing fee, Final Price %, and PayPal fees.

@GrecoMan you are lucky to be at whatever age you are when things got easier. Senior year in high school was when I got dial up internet. I was sitting at my college CS class when I learned about Google.

I’m quite aware of how lucky I am to be 13 and a freshman in highschool at this time. @treenutter and I have had a couple conversations about me moving over to eBay to sell, I really don’t want to because that means I have to raise my prices more to compensate for the tons of fees eBay throws in…

I would like to add that Paypal Business sometimes is not suitable for crowd funded projects: when many people pay to one single account, paypal has the right to freeze the money received until all of those people confirm that they receive the product. And this mechanism kills the purpose of the group buy (which by definition is a method to raise money to pay a lot of stuff) (Money needed to buy stuff):arrow_right:(people send money):arrow_right:(paypal freeze money until people receive stuff):arrow_right:(people cant receive stuff because organizer can’t buy stuff)