Do Simple Carbon Frame

The tolerances between the sections aren’t good enough to make a telescoping longboard - they’re more designed for walking sticks and ski poles and such. But if you could build the riser in such a way that you could clamp to any part of the beam that might be interesting. Especially in terms of being able to partially disassemble and squeeze the board into a small case for travel.

That’s going to require that the batteries be attached to the risers rather than the drop part, which is an interesting challenge. I think the battery pack would mount to the riser itself, but also have a ring that the beams would slide through.

if you dont mind me asking, where did you get the carbon tubes from? I looked around and they are pretty expensive, unless you rolled them yourself? I needed a pair for a engineering project, but the prices are :kissing_smiling_eyes: whistle

They are not cheap. The first set I got from Amazon - just search for “carbon fiber tube”

The hexagonal set I’m going to get from www.rockwestcomposites.com. I don’t know anything about them, just ran across their website when I was looking for longer than the 500mm that Amazon offers.

Not sure how they compare but have been watching a lot of YouTube content from these guys about laying carbon fiber and other fibers and epoxy.

Doesn’t look like they have as much in the way of the hexagonal or other shapes as stock ready to buy but might be good for price comparison on the rods or other shapes.

Heh based on the snippet it appears their site is angular… yup confirmed think they also forgot to turn on productionMode and aren’t using a prerender service… anyway yeah just another place to compare prices.

So what will be the purpose? To make it more compact for carrying or different riding styles with different lengths?

I want to address the first issue with folding frame, maybe v2 or v3 of the project. Folding might be better than telescopic, precisely because these sliding parts without addressing the tolerances are not suitable for dynamics - like bumps and real-life roads. Regarding the second one, I have no idea :slight_smile:

Dani

Well, honestly I hadn’t really thought it through that much - mostly the boards I have built to date have been tuned for carving and have made no concession to weight whatsoever :slight_smile: So the goal of this exercise is a board that still carves well and is fun and comfortable to ride, but that I can also carry with me or put in a backpack or small travel case.

The only reason I am thinking about telescoping is because I intend to have footpads rather than a full length deck, so the space between the footpads won’t have anything in it except the 2 hexagonal rails. So being able to slide the ends together and close that space for storage seems like a cool idea.

A slightly different take on the idea

The hardware is printed. Now in the fitting process. Here are some pictures

6 Likes

Hey guys

Quick update here. We are fully functional and riding!

I’m very excited about this, just love when you realize the numbers and can admire the hardware :slight_smile:

The weight is impressive, only 4.2kg for all up weight!

You can check the full description here:

Or a shorter video version:

Enjoy, Dani

2 Likes

very nice,

I would be careful with slipperiness of the tubes.

it would be nice for your project to integrate the tubes for structure

and a plate of some sort for surface area, for more contact with the shoes

haha, let’s watch it get destroyed.

4 Likes

Thanks guys!! Loved the video :slight_smile:

Instead of round carbon fiber tubes, why don’t you use flat tube like this. The skaters in the video worried that their foot might slip thru so flat tube would eliminate that problem.

1 Like