Does higher watts on a motor give higher speeds?

I was searching for a while and i couldent find any info about the correlation between motor watts and higher speeds. I understand that voltage is the main key to higher speeds. But im wondering if i had a 12s battery with a 2500 watt motor would the board go any faster than if i was running a 3200 watt motor on 12s?

1 Like

i.m.h.o. The most important thing this will change is the Torque of your board (ability to climb hills). Top speeds depend on your drivetrain. (eg. 36/15 pulleys and belt) and secondly, but also important the range you will get out of it. A build with a 2500W motor will go further then a 3200W one.

2 Likes

Just think about in like in a car. Your kv rating stands for the rpms of the motor and the wheel and drive pulley is the gearbox (only 1 gear). When you max out the first gear you probably do 50 km/h. If you would increase the hp of the car then you would reach 50 km/h quicker but the car still doesn’t drive faster. But with more power you start from a standstill in second gear.

More kv = higher motor rpms Lower gearing ratio = slower but more torgue Higher gearing ratio = faster but less torgue More cells in series = higher voltage = higher motor rpms

4 Likes

Hi b-rad,

As pointed out by the previous posts, it’s the motor’s KV rating that dictates how fast your motor will spin when a given voltage is applied regardless of it’s power rating (w) Once you stick the motor in a vehicle and give it some load to deal with, the power rating is going to come into play. As you ride along the pavement, on your board, friction and air resistance are all going to contribute to drag which will cause your motor to be unable to quite reach that theoretical top speed you calculated. This will be more apparent as you go up hills. The 3200w motor will be able to maintain a higher maximum speed, when under load than the 2500w motor because the extra 700w will be offsetting some of the afore mentioned drag. The higher power motor should be more resistant to burning out under a given load but will use more battery life.

Sorry for the ramble.

3 Likes

Voltage and kv dictate your speed. The watt rating is mainly concerned with heat created and dissipated by the motor, usually a larger watt rating means a larger motor.

Okay cool thanks guys. Now i have a much better understanding of this.