Don't buy the 120A FVT ESC

Cool! I live in Vancouver, so that’s a bit out of driving range haha! When (and if) I get my money back from this purchase I will put it towards your VESC.

On the site it’s saying free shipping to the UK? Surely not??

add hobbywing quicrun to the list of ESCs to not buy.

I think someone mentioned that these don’t work well in sensored mode… (AND / OR) that it is generally not that great / advised to run in sensored mode as the esc/motor will try to pull many many amps to sustain the load… (just does not work as it should)…

Of course, Im not having personal experience to back this up

So either way… I cannot cite the exact sources… just do remember reading that some ppl had bad experience or if the esc worked then it had problems with maintaining high speed… (not exactly this esc but still esc in sensored mode)… just some thought I picked up reading along all the posts on this site :wink:

So yes, your next bet would be to use vesc if you want somewhat ‘‘sensored’’ experience out of your ride… (more experts on running in sensored mode needed anyways, to back this up :wink: )

I love these ESC’s. The only way I run them is SENSOR’D. I have not had any problems. My daily rider uses one of these ESC’s. The only problem is if you put to much resistance on them while bench testing you can fry them. I’ve only done that once. Also, if you don’t have the phase wires correct and give too much throttle you can burn them out. I think that might hold true for most sensor’d ESC’s.

1 Like

How did you put too much resistance on them while testing?

I put a little pressure on them with my hand to test the sensor ability. Basically stopping the movement from start-up. But that was the wrong thing to do. Lesson learned.

That’s so stupid. Sensored motors are supposed to give 100% torque at 0 rpm!

I’ve not had any issues on my boards. If you don’t buy them it just leaves more for me! Thanks!:smile_cat:

So other than that, the ESC is okay?

I blew two of these up not knowing what was doing. I got an fvt 180a that ran for at least 1000 miles, and still works fine. The VESC is way better IMO, but those little guys can pack a punch for their price.

I’m sure the 120 is good, but you have to set the right settings or you can blow them up easily. If you know what your doing, I’ve found them to work very reliably. Never an issue once setup up right.

70 bux… y u no just buy a vesc :cry:

Yeah I’m regretting not getting one now haha. I could have saved up a bit more and gotten it, but now I’m stuck until I can get a refund for this stupid ESC.

1 Like

The FVT120 ESC itself is, in my opinion, a great 6S controller. Mine worked a treat on a 6S system - and am sure still is, just not in my possession anymore as it got stolen a few weeks back. Grrr.

Can you start from a stop with no push? Also how did u correctly wire it? I have the same esc and am running it unsensored

Yes, I can start from a stop with no push. I usually give a little push any way. Feels kinda unnatural to not push. Your wires should be labeled. At least on the ESC. If your motor phase wires aren’t you can switch them around until it works correctly. Do not do this on the board. Do this while bench testing. Give it about 1 second of throttle. It should sound normal and spin without hesitation. If you give too much throttle you will fry the ESC. I’m sure someone else has a scientific way of doing it, but this is how I do it if the phase wires are not labeled. Sensor lead is just plug and play.

1 Like

It did start from stop, but not altogether smoothly I must say. Not surprising as it was unsensored and only driving a 50mm motor. As Mccloed say though, I always pushed a single small kick as it just feels more natural. Wiring unsensored is easy - input is black (-) and red (+) and output to motor is unimportant, just attach the three wires to each other in any order. If running backwards just switch two wires around. In unsensored mode you won’t damage anything.

I have a FVT 120a coming in the mail. What do I need to do to not “blow” them up?

Don’t set the acceleration parameter past medium. high and very high will either blow your motor or your esc (I have done both by setting this setting too high). There’s another setting (either right before it or after it that is similar) that you also shouldn’t set past medium. Those are the 2 keys I’ve found. I also wouldn’t use a single fvt 120 by itself. at 6s (this guys max voltage), you will likely pull more amps than this little guy can take. It’s a good option for a dual drive though to lower the price. Use the fvt 180 if your going to use it in a single drive.

2 Likes

i have a pair of these running in a 6S build on two NTM 270kv 5060s. They’ve held up pretty well. But I also have three of them in a bin that fried, so yeah. Hit or Miss.