Drift Board Build!

Aww, come on. What’s could possibly go right? I mean wrong! What could possibly go wrong?!

Shit, it’s already started…:head_bandage:

2 Likes

I think that somebody is gonna have to be me. Hopefully I don’t bust my ass and my camera. :video_camera:

Seriously… This ain’t a really good idea lol

ditto. he’s gonna fishtail 3 seconds after he gets any traction

Don’t forget though, it’s gonna be front wheel drive, rear wheel slide. That’s why I can’t wrap my head around how this is gonna go until I try it. It works on the electric trikes, but then they can fully steer the front drive wheel. I’ve just got to go with loose trucks, and a lot of leaning.

Loving all the support though. :sweat_smile:

I believe man!!! you’re pioneering a new chapter in longboarding!

Man the only way ur gonna hold on is if you got monkey feet lol

Some drift trikes are fwd, but most aren’t. Drift cars are always rwd. With rwd, you just jab the gas pedal in the start of a turn to get the back wheels sliding, and use the front wheels to control the slide. I don’t see how you can control the slide with a fwd setup.

I think you’re gonna want rwd with high duro wheels. Tighten the back trucks and loosen the front. Get some speed and then kick out the back end. See if you can get sideways and bring it back in. Downhill guys do it this way. Try fishtailing under control and drifting around a corner. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel with the pvc setup. That only works on trikes because they are just about impossible to flip.

I’m sure straight will be no problem…it’s that first turn that may street his face (I hope not) which is the big issue…I just don’t know how he’s gonna be able to control the weight shift without being able to hold on…like I said monkey feet…that board is gonna whip fast when it breaks traction

The only way I can Imagin something like this working …is if you had a really long board…the longer you have to compensate for the sliding of the board…the better chance you have on staying on the board…it has to be a long back slide like 5-6 foot board

Popcorn Check!!,Where’s the damn video?

1 Like

Shit, I’d try it out!

Good luck man!

A little progress, but now I need two things.

1. A little smoother pavement than the asphalt in front of my house.
  2. A better method for attaching the pvc to the wheels.

A press fit with a mallot wasn’t enough to keep the pvc from coming off the wheels before I could get any real sliding going. I’ve got a couple of my other wheels in the freezer that are a touch larger that I’m going to try press fitting cold so they expand and stay put when they warm up. I know that’s still a temporary solution at best, so I’m gonna work on a plate and bolt type of setup similar to a wheel pulley. Any ideas are welcome.

That’s all for now. And I will try it rear wheel drive too before all is said and done.

3 Likes

Dude he’s prob feet up👣, beer🍺 in hand staring at the board … With the devil👹 and angel😇 sitting on his shoulder trying to figure out what to do lol

2 Likes

Madness

1 Like

This is a thing of beauty.

Just ordered some paris trucks, wheels, and two 50mm motors. Hoping to get going on this soon.

What size wheels you got there and what diameter pipe is that?

1 Like

@johnny_261 Thanks! Glad you like it. This is all your fault, you know that, right? :grin:

I’ve got 83mm wheels and they fit pretty much perfectly inside a 3" coupler. My green ones are a little more used and like 82.5mm, but the purple ones (in the freezer) are pretty new and right at 83mm. That .5mm actually makes a difference.

haha yeah it is a crazy idea thats for sure. I was worried about not being able to find piping that fits, but glad you did the leg work on that one!

Welcome to Sketchytown! Population = me (so far).

Let’s just say, it ain’t gonna work like this. I ran through most of a battery trying to feel this out, and like I had suspected, the lack of a steerable front wheel is the major dream killer. Once you get going fast enough to actually get some kind of slide going, I’m guessing around 10 mph, the back wheels immediately want to slide all the way around and send you into quick SYF style 180. Maybe someone who has better skate sliding experience could hold it longer, but even then it would still be super sketchy to somehow hold on and maintain the slide. I don’t expect it to be much different with rear wheel drive, but I will probably attempt it once I get a drive pulley on to my slide wheels. If my next plan pans out…

For attempt 2.0, my plan is to flip the front trucks 180°, and maybe even wedge them to allow for more steering range. I’m hoping this will solve the main problem of not being able to steer into the slide. As it is now, if you’re trying do a frontside slide, and the rear starts sliding out toeside, the only way to even try to steer into the slide is to lean toeside on your front wheels, which is really hard, and totally against your brain’s natural instinct to not street it’s face. Backside is obviously the same, but worse, cause now you have the potential to SYA (street your ass).

I did take some videos, but the footage is less than amazing, given the difficulty of actually maintaining a slide, but I’ll try again tomorrow with a flipped truck and see how that goes.

Hahahh…Monkey feet and a 20 foot long board!