Dual 6374's versus Dual 6355's

I have dual 6374 on 12s4p. I’m 6’4 and weight 190lbs. I’m also from the dh world and used to going 40+. Going that fast on an esk8 is another ball game. You feel like you’re going so much faster. I don’t think I need dual 6374, but it’s nice going up any hill at fast speeds. Unfortunately, you’ll have to run the 218 trucks to fit dual 6374. They aren’t bad, but the turning radius is definitely decreased. Stability is good, but I think with better bushings, it could be improved.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback dude. I hope you won’t mind a few more questions.

How fast have you been able to get your dual 6374 setup to go?

Can you still make a U-turn on a side streetwith the 218’s? :joy:

Have you tried Orangutan nipples? I’ve heard good things about them.

1 Like

Yeah, changing the bushings might help a lot. Have you tried Orangutan nipples? At what speed with the stock bushings do you notice a loss of stability?

1 Like

there is no complete loss of stability; but unless you’re extremely careful around 42km/h+ you will feel it wanting to wabble. i run them quite tight and haven’t had any major issues as of yet. I havent tried any different bushings on these trucks (even my calibers had stock bushings), but they are definitely on my to-do list.

2 Likes

I’ve been just over 30mph with plenty of throttle left. It’s completely different than using gravity for the speed. If you let off the throttle too fast, you’ll feel like you’re going to fall. I can still make a full turn on a regular street, but barely. I do rock my trucks pretty tight though… I have not tried Orangatang nipples (I chuckled a bit typing that).

2 Likes

This will be my first time using an esk8 board. Dang, so you can’t just let off the throttle and coast without feeling like you’re going to fall?

What remote are you using? Is there enough play for throttle sensitivity?

you can coast to a stop if you let go of throttle…but typically it feels like for board jerks backward a bit if you do it suddenly because of the sudden loss of power at any sort of high speed

Im running dual 6374 on evolve trucks… bit scary over half throttle… im also changing out stock bushings to a harder compound…

1 Like

You can let off the throttle and coast, but if you let off too fast after accelerating, it’ll give you a jolt. If you aren’t prepared for this, you could lose your balance. I’m using the nano remote from diyelectricskateboards. If you use the @Ackmaniac firmware, you can adjust the throttle curve so that it isn’t as “touchy”. I’ve gotten use to the throttle at this point and don’t see the need to install new firmware and do more setting changes. Riding an electric skateboard that has dual 6374’s definitely takes some getting used to, but I love it and wouldn’t change a thing.

It’s not even the temperature, as it is more of a consequence of having less iron in the stator

With the bigger motor you have a longer stator, so you can push more current without reaching saturation in some portions of the material, with increasing current more and more parts of the geometry become saturated, the magnetic flux is at its limit, the energy has to go somewhere, and it’s converted to heat

If you reach saturation in all the stator, you can increase the current all you want, the only thing that’s going to happen is to cook your motor and gain no additional torque

That’s the advantage of bigger motors, you have more room to play

4 Likes

Depends on how hard you are accelerating. Going from something pushing you forward that you are pressing against. And letting go of the throttle quickly, your body continues moving forward, and the board slows because of friction.

It’s not necessarily a result of speed, but a result of Your motor max and battery max (how much power your board can accelerate with) And how quickly your transition of the throttle is.

As I stated in the earlier post. Gear up man. It’s alot different then gravity.

As far as speed, I’ve taken my Evo on 218s upto 47mph with gravity and 43mph on flats. Stock bushings are a no go for me, they have no rebound.

You may be able to see what I mean here, as far as leaning into the acceleration. Although I’m quite used to letting off the throttle so I don’t feel the instability

2 Likes

Truck width does not affect turning radius.

1 Like

Understood. If you are cruising at a constant speed and then let off the throttle, there shouldn’t be jolt because you will simply begin to slow down?

Why the nano from diyelectricskateboards instead of the mini?

1 Like

@Deckoz stated it well by saying “Going from something pushing you forward that you are pressing against. And letting go of the throttle quickly, your body continues moving forward, and the board slows because of friction.”

If you let off the acceleration gradually and adjust your lean, you’ll be fine. When something pushes you from the feet, you need to lean forward to avoid it flying out from under you. If you are leaning because of fast acceleration and you suddenly let off the accelerator, you’re going to feel like you will fall (depending on speed and amount of lean).

As far as why the nano, I just picked one. I didn’t have any reasoning for choosing the nano vs the mini. I haven’t had any issues with the nano and it is tiny enough that it isn’t obvious I’m holding a controller.

1 Like

Some people like thumb throttle, some like trigger figer throttle. They perform alike. Just different fingers

1 Like

Sick dude! As far as gear I’ll probably just rock my motorcycle helmet and jacket along with some jeans. What wheels are you using? I was planning to use MBS 100mm wheels. Also I wasn’t planning to do much riding off of the streets.

1 Like

I’m using abec 107 superfly.

I wouldn’t suggest the MBS 100mm wheels for any sort of speed unless they are shaved. And even then they get greasy above 30mph.

^^^ I also rock the 107 Superfly’s. Great wheels!

2 Likes

At 40mph, you should really have like 300% more protection than that. At least consider knee/elbow pads, and maybe protective compression shirt/shorts!!

2 Likes

I would have to recommend just not going 40mph on an esk8. I know that might be an unpopular opinion but I think about 25mph is a sweet-spot for a top-speed.

Someone has to say it.

15 Likes