Dual Motor First Build | Flipsky 6374 | Focbox Unity | Hill Climber

Hi, I’ve been reading the forum for a little under 6 months and I think I’m ready to build my own electric longboard. I chose some specs that I thought that might be good for hill climbing etc. I am around 70 KGs, so medium flex and I live in NZ so shipping and tax is a bit of a pain, but I did my best to pick a good price to performance board. I don’t want to solder any batteries but I am open to doing some custom electronics. Here is my spec List, any input is greatly appreciated:

Parts List: Dual Motor Setup: Flipsky s 6374 Trucks and Motor Mount kit: Neon Green motor kit Remote Control: Nano X 2.4 GHz Remote 10s4p Battery Pack:R2 S.P.A.C.E 10s4p battery Focbox Unity: Focbox unity (btw does anyone know how long this will be on presale for?) BMS and Charger/port: Mboards 10s BMS Maybe my board?: Dusters 30-inch cruiser (For the board, I was thinking I could make my own custom one if I had the time but I wanted to be around this size)

This is my first build so I’m not sure what other parts I’ll need so I could be missing some pieces. image This is the approximate price it works out to, I wanted something around 2500 NZD which works out to about 1700 USD I’m essentially trying to make a better spec version of the boosted mini but with a similar form factor and size

2 Likes

What is you plan for an enclosure?

I was planning on 3d printing one but I would have to wait until all the parts come in so I can model them to fit perfectly

1 Like

Don’t get a bms from mboards. He has bad reputation. Don’t waste money on flipsky. Get motors from forum vendors or torqueboard Also dual 6374 won’t fit standard caliber clone truck. For that you need upgrade to 218.

Oh thanks for the heads up I’ll update it to have the 218mm trucks and torqueboard 6374, As for the BMS I’m having a little bit of trouble finding a good one do you recommend any for a 10s setup?

Bestech or supower BMS. Ask on the forum if someone has.

1 Like

Bestech is definitely the BMS you want to go with most of the people use that

Awesome, I was also wondering how hard it is to wire up a BMS with a premade battery pack like the R2 battery?

1 Like

Just takes some patience and forum Search

1 Like

Yes, this is a good bms: https://buildkitboards.com/collections/batteries/products/bestech-d140-charge-only-bms?variant=12511076909150

4 Likes

If that deck has a 15 inch wheel base, will you fit that battery?

I think the battery is 37cm long, which is approx 15 inches - the same as your wheel base. If you allow an inch or two each end for the truck bases… you won’t have room. Plus you wanna leave some room for the trucks to turn without the wheels biting into the enclosure.

I’m building a similar thing at the moment (in NZ also). I’m using a Carver Proteus deck, which is really short. I’m building a 10s3p, which will be double stacked (six p groups on bottom, 4 p groups plus bms on top). That should leave ample room for the Focbox Unity. My bms is a 60a one from ali express.

I’m using dual 6354 flipsky motors. But with all the Black Friday sales on I wish I’d waited and got bkb or torqueboards for a similar price.

Yeah I’m thinking of changing the motors to the enertion r spec kit so i can have more room for the battery and esc

Where did you get the blank deck from I’m having trouble finding some in NZ

All jokes aside, you’ll need to patient if you’re ordering that kit from enertion, the unity is still in production and phase 1 is sold out

I got mine from ultimate surf and skate… but I see they are showing as sold out now

I think for that style you could try a google search for “cruiser skateboard deck nz” or “old school skateboard deck nz” and see what shows up.

A few local skate shops I’ve been into (Backdoor, Boardertown) have good selections of old school decks. This was my plan B, but I was looking for that boxy short nose look of a boosted mini and they all had quite long noses on them.

You could always buy an old school/cruiser deck and either mount your trucks further up the nose (more room for battery etc) or trim the nose back for the boxy look.

I don’t think you’ll gain much space at all moving from reverse mounted belt drive to hubs.

The enertion battery is 15” long, so you’re going to need like 17” wheel base at least I reckon. Pretty sure wheelbase is measured from axle to axle. If you look at a skate truck there’s quite a bit of truck either side of the axle.

I’m gathering you’ve already ordered the battery, and I don’t blame you. It’s definitely proven to be the most difficult thing to source in NZ for my build so it makes sense to get that sorted. But the dimensions of that battery don’t really lend themselves to a boosted mini clone.

You’ll work it out though, I think you’re gonna end up putting all the other components on top of the battery, and I think that’s ok? Also, if you wanted to make it shorter and you’re already pulling it apart to wire up a bms, you could break the pack in “half”, stack the two halves on top of each other and replace the applicable series connections with short pieces of heavy gauge silicon wire. You’d only need to solder four points.

It will be pretty cool if you can fit a 10s4p into a boosted mini-sized board.