Dying Longboard Wheels and Plastics Connectors

cool and do i use water or vinegar

edit: also how to i place the wheel in the pan without having it on direct contact with the heat?

You probably don’t need the vinegar. But you can use it as contingency if, for some reason, the wheel isn’t taking the dye 30-45 minutes in.

You have a couple options, either using some object such as wood or a metal grate as a buffer or a piece of wire hung over a bar. Remember, whatever you put in, you’re probably not going to use that thing for any sanitary purposes.

Another simple option would be to boil the dye with whatever maximum water iDye tells you to use so that the high volume of water would retain heat long enough to dye. Take it off the heat and then heat sink the hot ass pot to your counter or something. Let it cool enough, so that when you yolo dunk the wheels in, it won’t melt from contact with said pot. You then stir the wheels just in case.

1 Like

thanks man ill attempt it and update with results

1 Like

Did you do them yet?

I put my wheels straight in the pan with the inside edge down. No issues.

I put them in there and added cold water untill it was 1/2" over the top, then pulled the wheels out and boiled the water.

A min or two simmering with the dye, then I turned the gas off…3 min later I forked the wheels in, stirred occasionally, and left them in until cold.

i have not one thing stopping me is am not able to find a pot that i don’t use for cooking to do this project in as i don’t want to mix this with stuff we eat from. do you know if i can do one wheel at a time?

Never dyed my wheels. But seeing that you have to have the water not boiling when you dye, would it be possible to use a cheap 5 gallon bucket? Boil the water, pour it into the bucket with dye. Drop in wheels. Would that work? Use two buckets to insulate if you want the water to remain hot longer

1 Like

smart thanks man

It would work, it’s really easy to do actualy

Hey guys I’d bought the dye over a year ago but never got around to dying my wheels. Today I did and it turned out amazing.

I’d already rubbed the text off the flywheels using a metal wire brush long ago btw. I heated the water to almost boiling, added the dye, and then put the wheels in. I bought a second hand buffet type food thing which was perfect to be able to place a flame under. Kept it on low flame for about 1.5h, then I had to leave the house so I turned off the flame and let it cool down slowly for about 2.5h. Came back, took them out, rinsed them, and this is the result!

IMG-20190626-WA0015

IMG-20190626-WA0017

IMG-20190626-WA0030

After partial drying

IMG-20190626-WA0035

IMG_20190626_184009

Really impressed! They’re blacker than I expected them to get and they look great! Excited to see them on my board.

There’s color differences because they weren’t 100% dry yet, but you get the idea.

1 Like

Unearthing an old topic to ask: Did anyone try with other colors than black? I’m dyeing to see how blue could turn out on green Abec wheels.

Short answers yes, Long answers join the other forum

forum. esk8. news https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/esk8-news-is-a-hit-and-not-for-the-reason-i-thought/85423

And i we may help you about any subject :v::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

hahah I like to see that everyone supports the esk8 news forum

1 Like

hehe. well it is that much better and more active. this is a bit of a ghost town except a few threads

Damn it, I’m on the other forum as well but I got here from a google search. See you on the other side guys!

1 Like