Dynamic truck angle based on current speed for stability

Why not making a bold step out of the box and dump the old trucks and its horrible lean/steer relationship + rigid axle which are instable by design.

You won’t bring an horse cart to the moon, even with hydraulic and electronic assistance !!

@skatardude10 uses a hydraulic steering dampener. How about a speed regulated spool valve that dynamically changes the hydraulic resistance of the dampener based on speed. Only on the back truck.

1 Like

sorry, let’s call it a board, on wheels, to make the difference with toys.

Agree 100% for the board definition, you lean to turn…and not to slide or wobble.

And it doesn’t need to be on skate truck + wooden plank.

1 Like

This is genius! We just make the board out of stretchy urethane, and put the drive chain in front. When you accelerate, the board stretches, giving you a longer wheel base and thus more stability, and when you brake the board shrinks and gives you good maneuverability! Someone, quick, patent this!!!

3 Likes

Ya win some ya lose some ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You hit on something here, and I’d love it explained to me, as I see it, currently we run positive caster and positive trail on the front end, which is good for stability, but negitive castor and leading trail on the rear, which is bad for stability. Would running rkp up front, and a tkp in the rear address this? @Deckoz

Agree but skate trucks have non linear steering (relationship between lean angle and steering radius)

…and sadly, it’s very reactive around 0 degre, which is the main wobble cause.

Making a truck “under reactive” around 0 degres (to swallow small feet mistakes or ground irregularities without steering too much) and yet able to turn tight at strong leaning angle would be a great idea.

2 Likes

A long time ago there was some discussion about dynamically adjusted bushing durometers. I went as far as searching for a material that has similar properties to urethane, but could change duro with electrical input. I could never find anything like that.

2 Likes

I think this is a cool idea, but the added weight and complexity let alone the maintenance costs are too much. I got into esk8 because of how simple the concept was and relatively cheap to have reliable alternative transportation. Not that there wouldn’t be a market for your idea though.

1 Like

This ties in with what @Flexboardz is saying, but he put it wrong, the steering is definitely linear, i.e. for x amount of lean you get x degrees of turning, but the force required to initiate the change in turning increases with angle, with the least amount at force required at zero degrees, also with the least amount of damping. There are electrically changeable fluids that could be used in a damping system, and are used in some car systems, but that would mean switching to a spring and damper solution.

1 Like

Sorry but no, the skate truck lean/steer relationship is not linear at all ( there is an Atg in the lean/steer formula) otherwise, trucks would be much better.

Ideally, a non linear lean/steer would be better if non reactive around 0 degre and more reactive at higher angle to get the necessary turning radius.

1 Like

No, you’re right, what I meant was that the steering response is mappable by single function. I’d love to see that lean/steer formula, got a link?

It’s a bit late here but I will dig in my files to find and post it tomorrow ( and please, remember than I’m not a truck passionate )

1 Like

Steering is not exactly linear. Depends on how nitpicky you want to be. I would definitely describe it as linear to 95% of people.

But in reality, its not. For one thing, slop. It eats away turning so you don’t get that perfect relationship.

Also, slightly related but not exactly. a 5 degree wedge doesn’t affect turning the same amount on a 45 degree baseplate as it does on a 30 degree plate. I’m not the best at applied math like I wish I was, so I can’t go into detail about that, but making a dynamic angle truck would have to have that relationship all mathed out.

Also, here’s a link which has maths. https://nelsonlongboards.com/blogs/blog/80421639-different-wheelbase-same-turning-radius-dial-in-your-next-setup-with-the-power-of-math#ihatemath

4 Likes

Thanks !! This site should be the holly bible of all skaters as it tells everything about truck technology!!

And you can see on screen capture below how non linear it is (over reactive, indeed).

For a 50 degree pivot angle, 1 degree lean causes a 50ft radius curve (ie a medium curve), 2 degrees cause a 25 ft curve (tight if you are fast), 3 degrees for 18 ft, 4 degrees for 12 ft (ie a Uturn radius)… and … visualize that 1 degree angle, on a 10" wide deck means moving our toe tip by 2mm on deck edge!! Touchy!

In addition, if someone want to design the “ideal truck”, it’s better to have a non linear behaviour, ie non-reactive around zero degree (fast speed) and more reactive at deeper angle to be turny enough at low speed.

Last, a ±10 degrees tilting range is very “narrow band” to transmit all ours riding information through feet…

Capture%20du%202019-05-14%2019%3A08%3A23

1 Like

While split angle trucks are definitely an option, a lot of people prefer the center of the turning radius being in line with the middle of the board, rather than the back. Having the front truck angle too big in order to compensate is especially problematic when pushing, because it’s too easy to accidentally steer to one side.

I’d hit the solved button if their was one available.

2 Likes

Like riding a bike :rofl:

1 Like