Electric Skateboard Legalities - local laws and what you do about them

No. Victoria, Australia.

technically in Australia all motorized skateboards are prohibited. that <250W thing only applies to bicycles.

edit: i just checked the rules in VIC and apparently you can have an electric scooter or skateboard under 200W… hopefully other states follow that step in the right direction…

Can you post the link where you found the 200w limit.

Just common sense is required. If your skating between cars and without helmets Im sure police would take a second look at you. The police have better things to do.

upon closer inspection it says “motorized scooter” but you could almost bend a skateboard into the definition :wink:

What is a motorised scooter?

A motorised scooter:

has the same features as a foot scooter is moved by pushing one foot against the ground, by an electric motor, or by a combination of both has an electric motor with a maximum power output of 200 watts or fewer is not able to travel faster than 10 km/h when ridden on level ground. Your motorised scooter is classed as a motor vehicle if it:

is powered by a petrol motor has a maximum power of more than 200 watts can go faster than 10 km/h.

also having said that, most of our skateboards go faster then 10km/h :stuck_out_tongue:

maybe i’ll just go with illegal again.

Yeah well I thought you did ckarify that last time hence why I wanted to know if you had new info. Went past the traffic police on the sde of the road with their radar getting cars. Not worried about mr ar all as I zoomed past.