Enclosures - Good sources?

I love that article you wrote about DIY vacuum forming. If you get a chance you should copy & post it on here (in a new thread - probably asthetic category) too so other people can easily find it.

Making a universal enclosure is difficult… every deck is different…

I have been looking at a range of flexible materials. Like silicon or TP… many phone case are made using TP.

This solves the problem of it needing to slightly bend/conform to a deck which flexes.

But the mold fees are crazy expensive… the cost of the mold was not much different then the cost of making a mold for a full CF deck… so i invested in the CF deck mold instead… with an complete all-on-one CF deck that you don’t need an enclosure! It’s 2 in 1 so sort of solved a few problems.

I’ll be making at least two other CF deck shapes so i can cater to the various taste of DIY’ERS. … not everyone wants a kick tail deck.

@onloop will do! So you know, the flexibility of the abs does allow it to conform to different deck shapes. On another note, do you think your cf deck will work with my 6" wheels? I’m really tempted.

Nah… this one is not good for large wheels… my next CF deck is designed specifically for it though!

This is my Inspiration

2 Likes

Waiting patiently :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I want a drop through)

@siggs3000 I spent a lot of time looking, and finally decided to buy a plastic screw organizer and dremel out the channels to make room for my batteries. Here are some pics of its current state. In the third empty column I’ll have a VESC, receiver, and a battery arming switch.

The batteries are 4S, wired in series. Everything will be velcro’d to the enclosure and I’ll add some extra foam padding to keep things from jiggling and to absorb vibrations. I’ve also got a nylon strap with a clasp to help keep things closed up. In the end, it will be spray painted matte black. If this approach works I’ll be happy about the small size of the battery/electronics pack on the bottom of my deck! I’ll also be pleased that I’ll be able to easily flip the board over, open the door, and access everything quickly.

2 Likes

make sure you put some velcro straps or similar around that box, because you wouldn’t want it to swing open on the move.

2 Likes

Looks like a pretty quick and easy solution!

Thanks @lowGuido - I have nylon straps that will keep the door closed if\when the latches fail. Good recommendation! I wouldn’t want my VESC to take a ride on the pavement.

Thanks @siggs3000 ! It’s not very elegant, but for my first build it’ll suffice while I figure out everything else.

@torqueboards I’m interested in purchasing your 14" Aluminum Enclosure, but I’m concerned that it’s not going to fit my Multistar 4S 10000mAh Lipo Batteries are not going to fit. I was lucky enough to buy these when they were half price. The enclosure’s internal height and the batteries height are only off by 1 mm.

@claudiofiore88 They don’t fit for 4S 10ah :frowning:

Damn. Thanks anyway.

1 Like

10000mah whoa! You gonna do some marathon skateboarding!

1 Like

Go big or go home, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

One of my enclosures fits that setup. I’m running those batteries in this board.

1 Like

@psychotiller I’ve been thinking about getting your enclosure, but I’ll have to admit that I really like the excluded aluminum enclosure look better than the vacuum formed plastic look. Your enclosure is able to fit 2 VESC’s, right?

@claudiofiore88 The dimensions I used on the enclosure were verified by onloop. It was designed to hold the space cell and two vesc’s. Aluminum does look nice I agree. It just doesn’t hold up to the riggers of being on the bottom of a longboard. Full disclosure, One enclosure is on its way back to me right now because the guy said his vesc’s wouldn’t fit because of the caps (I’m assuming he added to the vesc’s) All of the dimensions are listed for you to compare your components to though and I can confirm that I can fit 2 4s 10ah batteries and 2 ez run escs inside this enclosure. Edit- the enclosure pictured here had one castle esc in it however I can modify the mold specifically for 2 vesc’s if you give me the dimensions.

@claudiofiore88 yeah you don’t want an aluminum enclosure. Too many screws and too many forces trying to bend the box in too many directions. Well, mainly one direction, that being across your concave curve. They just can’t stand up to that and they fall apart. I already went through @onloop 's and @torqueboards 's aluminum boxes. Both have irreparable damage caused by vibration.

My advice would be to get @psychotiller to hook you up with a custom ABS box or to make your own. I made mine out of fiberglass.

@longhairedboy I just made one for somebody and it looks just like yours. Only Black. And ABS…

1 Like