Endless Ride for VESC?

Found it! This needs more uptake

yeah it’s a really simple thing to build. I’m somewhat surprised that no one (except maybe mellow) has really gone anywhere with it. this whole conversation has inspired me to resurrect that board and build a proper one.

2 Likes

Mellow has it much better though

I think it’s a great idea especially with the descrete boards coming out of here, twinned with hubs

I like the idea of Endless ride, never thought about it before, and I think I have a grasp of how it works from your previous descriptions, its basically mimicking the act of pushing your board but with an amplified force that will be eventually damped out. Its like jumping in real life, but with this feature enabled you jump much higher, and land smoothly.

This can be totally done on the Photon remote, we can even add an option to control power variable through the remote, the lower the value, the closer you will get to regular pushing, the higher the value, the more power and range you will get from a single push.

PS: the Photon is really much more than just a glorified PPM controller with an LCD :wink:

Added to my TODO list :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve got a Mellow. Endless Mode is cool, I rarely use it because it lacks the speed that I desire. It takes a little bit of getting used to as there is no free roll.

1 Like

So gear drive + endless ride = profit ?

no. I’m moving away from gears

I would LOVE endless mode for board walking/dancing. You would still need to kick push from time to time, so your routine can still incorporate stepping off the board, but now you can basically maintain longer lines.

Best I can put it is if you tried dancing on smooth marble. You just go on forever.

Really ? Why so? Wouldn’t the Gear Drives’s drew rolling capabilities be best for a feature like this?

I think I mistook gears for belts, lol.

I mean technically if ‘endless mode’ was to be properly implemented, you wouldn’t detect the difference between belt drive and hub drive. Both would ‘artificially coast’ the same amount.

1 Like

however, I think hubs are probably the best application.

1 Like

Lol Nha , I meant gears like Arc and Jed.

I see, so the rolling resistance wouldn’t interfere at all or need to be accounted in implementation?

I was hypothesis that the free rolling capabilities of gear drives would make endless riding easier or affect it in some way, whether it be in implementation, calculation, or end result.

No the rolling resistance will bear zero effect for endless ride. This is effectively an equalizer. The slow decay in speed is artificial and (ideally) programmable.

1 Like

Endless mode would be really cool! with focus on law it sounds even better then the option to push to accelerate and hold the speed. e.q. limit it to 25km/h and 250watts .

for that control mode two parameters are necessary: maximum power of support damping of that power

So by adjusting these two parameters you have full control. If you set the decrease rate of the power to zero, it is like your implemented push-and-hold-speed mode.

So the remote is just needed to brake, not to accelerate.

Did that already. It’s available in my firmware mod. Difference is that you need to pull the trigger so that cruise is active. And it doesn’t slowly reduce the speed. And by the way. It doesn’t make the board legal.

Endless ride should turn Rusty bearings into ceramic Swiss in the feels

1 Like