Epoxy Pools of Flatness

Putting this here.

2 Likes

Yeah I hate to complain about a company, and I really have no dog in the fight, I didn’t even purchase anything, none of my orders with them are outstanding. this has to do with all the people in my town who do, are bugging me about it now…and I don’t even work for DIY, I simply recommended them, now I’m catching crap for it and I’m not even involved…just making it known is all I am doing and passing on the numbers as requested…I didn’t even get a “thanks, we got it” reply…nothing…so I now understand why people are bitching to me about it…this isn’t calling out a scam or burning a company, it’s a request for communication, with honesty and respect, out in the open (because it’s where I like to do things).

ah, torqueboard… it’s always the freaking battery issue everywhere. America need to start making the battery factories, make America great again Trump!

Joke aside, my order from torqboard came extremely quick and I’m in Canada. but I agree I rather get shitty truth than sweet lie

1 Like

I wrote him a PM as requested and never heard a thing…this is exactly what people are angry about…its like they lack basic communication skills…cannot provide updates at all, good or bad ones…its just silence…

holy jesus I’ve been thinking of doing this and now someones done it, yay!

1 Like

Hi @squishy654 really good idea. Did you mount the inserts in the epoxy or in the deck? I’m planning to do the same but to make an edge around the outline of my enclosure to get some more room inside. I’m planning to mount the inserts in the epoxy but I’m concerned if it will be too much load for the epoxy and if it’s actually possible to mount the inserts in the epoxy. What do you think?

I put the inserts in the wood above the epoxy, I wouldnt put them in the epoxy.

1 Like

So the deck?

For anyone that is going to do it and will be using foam to make some walls for the epoxy, use some hard/solid foam with little air. I recommend using this foam from aliexpress. Rember to buy enough :slight_smile:

Don’t stretch the foam when you apply it, otherwise it will be completely out of shape the next day.

The same epoxy @squishy654 used can also be found on Hobbyking :slight_smile:

IMG_3733

IMG_3734

IMG_3740

IMG_3743

2 Likes

hey @squishy654!

How did you mount the inserts in the deck? I tried to do it but I had to make the hole bigger to get the screw down and it’s impossible to get the screw back up after you have inserted the insert.

I find it weird that the some of the epoxy is 100% transparent while the other is white and impossible to see through. Does anybody know why? Air bubbles?

IMG_3744

IMG_3748

IMG_3753

My advice to get the epoxy somehow flatter is Vibration :wink: there are plenty possibilities to construct/buy something. You could just even Hammer the Board next to the epoxy to flatten it out and get some air bubbles up/out of it

I think it has something to do with the influence of air. Every hidden Part looks invisible and the top Part looks milky. A mold has normaly only one small injection hole. But i dont know for Sure

1 Like

I used the 20 minute epoxy and let it sit for days, came out transparent and clear all the way through…

I just saw a guy that used a blowtorch to heat some epoxy up really short to pop all the bubbles. A heatgun might work as well.

I finally managed to get mostly rid of the air bubbles. There is a few tricks I want to share.

1. Put the two bottles of epoxy and hardener in hot water (Above 35 Celsius. I didn’t read the temperature of my water, but it was a bit above my body temperature)
  2. Mix the epoxy and hardener slowly together.
  3. Let the epoxy sit for 3-5 minutes (depending on what epoxy you use) after you have mixed it. That will make most of the air bubbles disappear.

btw. You can also use an heat gun instead of blow torch to remove some of the bubbles, but that will make the epoxy move a bit around.

This picture was taken after I had mixed the epoxy like some crazy guy. There was a bit less bubbles before :slight_smile: IMG_4003

1 Like

Completely clear after it had hardened :+1:

IMG_4005

2 Likes

maybe some self-leveling epoxy, like the ones used for clear bar tops, would be best here? Something like this?

https://www.alumilite.com/bartopepoxy/bartop-coating

1 Like

Doesn’t all epoxy do that? Gravity? :joy:

It’s a matter of degrees :}

1 Like