ESC started smoking, need help to understand why!

Just get in on hummies group but for the 6.6 fesc. It’s a little over $100 and will do much better. It’s basically the vesc 6.6. The 4.12 have design flaws and I don’t know why people still buy them. They will likely break over and over and over again. Some people get lucky or don’t run foc with these 4.12s and they work. But foc, and more power than you know what to do with is what you’ll gain. More power than you need means your not running everything to it’s edge of breaking, which should mean longer life also.

1 Like

This has never happened to me in esk8 or rc applications. So not like an audible alarm sound but a high frequency vibration noise? What i do know though is most car esc’s have an alarm sounder on boot and to indicate the programming settings.Thanks for that info because when it inevitably happens to me I will now know.

Do you suggest any specific ones (providing link if possible)?

If you want a bullet proof ESC, buy the official VESC 6 from Trampa for an arm and a leg: http://www.trampaboards.com/1x-vesc-6-in-cnc-t6-silicone-sealed-aluminium-box-with-genuine-xt90-connectors--vedder-electronic-speed-controller-trampa-special-p-24333.html

If you want a cheaper alternative, the fesc 6.6 (based on the vesc 6) can be purchased from Flipsky (the manufacturer) here: https://flipsky.net/collections/electronic-products/products/fsesc6-6-simplify-version-with-aluminum-heatsink

Or there’s this group buy which saves you a bit more (not sure if it’s too late though):

Other wise, there’s the focbox at a bit higher price: https://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/FOCBOX-programmable-brushless-motor-controller/

Any of these options are much better than any hobby grade ESC or VESC 4.12 (besides chaka’s VESC 4.12’s because he figured out how to fix the flaws, but he doesn’t sell them to the public anymore).

Flipsky also offers them in a full alum case with a nice led power switch and another with out the case and an led power switch. If you buy one any of the other ones, you should use an xt-90 anti spark switch to turn it off and on.

1 Like

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

I don’t know, I’m guessing

You guess?!?! Never?! now I’m not sure if the suns going come up.:thinking:

1 Like

there are good and cheap things, like japanese cars. cheaper and definetely more reliable than a ferrari.

thats both arms and both legs and your first born child.

1 Like

Sadly that is generally not the case in esk8.

1 Like

Here’s the problem. We are not 4 lb drones, we are 100-300lb people. We put huge strains for long periods of time and the esc tech for us is very new. Can you make the fvt esc wok? Yes you can. I used the fvt 150 for months every day without issue. But the performance with a a vesc is night and day. Not just more powerful but smoother. And you can protect other components like your motor and battery from damage. With the fvt and other hobby grade escs, you can’t protect anything and you will break something else in time. The vesc allows to you protect your motor from overheating and the battery from under discharging. It protects the esc from pulling too much current and blows it up. A lot can go wrong on electric skateboards. Ride a diy board for 3 years and you’ll see, even with 4.12 vescs. Buy quiality or buy twice the choice is really yours. But you will buy it twice, I promise.

Which is why I don’t own any haha. But Derek was a big dude that used them and he told me they were the first ones he wasn’t able to break, so that says a lot to me about their quality (assembly and design).

1 Like

Biggest understatement of the year award goes to … @evoheyax

You will soon realize reliability is the only thing that matters in the end :wink:

… because an electric skateboard of any kind is better than a broken electric skateboard.

“Esc started smoking, need help to understand why”

Honestly i think its stress. Focbox unity is coming for its job, The motors just wont give it a break and not to mention how it gets all hot headed. Just needed something to take the ease off maaaaannnn :v:t3: