ESK8 Death in Singapore

I copied and paste all of your advice onto their group page . Unaltered . Hopefully everyone wears helmet & safety gears , regardless of electric or non-electric , on boards , scooters , bicycle or unicycle …or trike .

In the case of eboards , it is unique ! Why ? Because we dont have handle bars to turn side ways like scooters & bicycles .

Not condemning others who dont wear safety gears , i too tends to close one eye when overcome by thrills & spills .

Guilty as charge ; )

1 Like

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-10/man-dies-in-electric-skateboard-fall/2788604 Gold Coast Eboard Death

Here in Berlin, where I rode for only 3 times since I got my Raptor, I had many talks to interested people. One of the questions were why Id wear a motorcycle helmet and I always wonder whats wrong with that. I never felt like there was a better place than on an eskate. Is it too much? The worst thing is that is a reason to differentiate me from a normal longboard driver and gets attention by the police which will more likely stop and maybe sue me. Safety is not what people are aiming at here, rather staying in the old habits

1 Like

looks like that one was quite some time ago in 2011. I wonder what eboards were available back then, gas powered?

1 Like

I agree, I think there isn’t a clear distinction between a skateboard, longboard and an eboard to the general public. This creates a lot of risk in regards to the level of riding experience and safety knowledge for a new user. Hopping on an eboard and riding in traffic before getting some practice in seems obvious to us but the general public will just make the easy association of eboards to skateboards (a casual recreational activity). Which it is but it’s so much more especially when you start getting into more powerful builds which is where all of this seems to be trending towards. As more people get hurt, it will potentially lead to laws and regulations like the way some states require certificates to use Jet Ski’s. If you look at Evolve, Boosted, Inboard and Fiik’s social feeds, there’s a lot of non helmeted riders (particularly with hired models) which only spreads the minimization of safety.

1 Like

The documentary “The Crash Reel” is very relevant to this conversation. It’s about traumatic brain injuries, and the impact that has on peoples lives. The main focus of the documentary is around Kevin Pearce who was an olympic hopeful, but all that changes after he has an accident. The recovery period that he goes through is painful to watch. And, when he announces his return to snowboarding, you can feel his families distress.

Many years ago I had a (minor) accident while snowboarding. Reflecting on that accident after seeing the Crash Reel made me realise that I had a lucky escape and I could have ended up a different person. I’ve worn a helmet every day since then.

Personally, I think the Crash Reel is mandatory viewing for anyone who gets on a board regardless if it’s a longboard, snowboard etc.

3 Likes

Check out this beast …

It’s still available here: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/deebing-heights/skateboards-rollerblades/petrol-skateboard/1118807279

1 Like

So that’s what it looks like when you cross a bear trap, weed wacker & a skateboard together…

:+1:t2::thinking:

6 Likes

Whoa!

1 Like

Wow I remember seeing the trailer for that awhile ago. This echoes exactly how I felt last month. I will check it out asap. Thank you for posting this

i cannot explain how furious i am … and i am “in~between” to whom should i be angry to .

in the bicycle market ; theres a spectacle where it has a small rear~view mirror to be attach to the helmet or head cap .

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=Helmet+Mirror+

if the skater had use this rear view mirror . that car would not have destroyed his evolve carbon GT .

https://youtu.be/F1JltzzTluQ

first of all , i my self would NEVER ever ride on tarmac . look in all my youtube videos . this one ? i just LOVE climbing hills at epic slow speed . i dont know ? 3km/hr ?

second of all . i am an experience biker since 18yrs of age . now i am 47 yrs old . 29 yrs motorbike riding experience . bicycle at 10yrs old . so with all that experience ? i know that I NEED TO KEEP MY SELF AWAY FROM POTENTIAL DANGERS ! not the OTHER WAY AROUND ! where others have to keep a distance from ME ! ! !!
IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS ! i am the smaller vehicle with LESS BLIND SPOTS !??? which gives me the opportunity to keep myself safe . and i choose to close ONE EYE ? ridiculous !

anyway … that car should compensate me if i was the owner of that Evolve Carbon GT ! clearly the car driver saw the potential danger when he actually slowed down but not keeping a safe distance from danger . and he EXACTLY knew when to E~BRAKE (when we all hear the short “screeching braking sound” ) / he knew ! he saw the danger ! AND HE/SHE LITERALLY DID NOT GIVE A COURTESY SHORT HONK TO WARN OTHERS IN ADVANCE ! but he/she kept on going til he/she saw the skater got stuck under the right front tyre ! very smart driver ! dont you think so ? luckily didnt break any small tiny bones at the feet . no further news of that skater though . just a REGRETFUL LOOK at the end of video . i felt for you bro . if you (the fatefull *lucky~to~be~alive~with~no~broken~ankle skater) are reading this ? you should chase the car driver for breaking that piece of now~broken electric longboard . AND DEMAND FULL COMPENSATION FROM HIM OR HER !

thats all i have to say .

2 Likes

at least he’s wearing a helmet, same one I have matter of fact - the Bern Brentwood :wink:

1 Like

I agree I feel your sentiments here. I think every EBoarder should ride on the defensive and be hyper aware. We are not just like cyclists, its something completely different and requires the focus, attention and defensive awareness like riding a moped or other small electric vehicle.

1 Like

If you you don’t know how to skateboard, you should not be riding one of these, You will get hurt. Spend six months on a regular board, so you know how to control it properly and in a bad situation, you are able react more effectively.

If you ride in traffic on one of these, you’re an idiot, I’ve been skateboarding for 30 years, and riding in traffic is a very bad idea. I have done many times, but not anymore. Ride on the sidewalk, there are almost no cars there.

Have you ever been hit by a car? it really hurts.

Skateboarding is very dangerous, if you ride a board, you will get hurt, that is the cost of admission.

6 Likes

Should not be able to sell an eboard without a helmet. Maybe we as a community should make it mandatory for every board we make mod or sell on to anyone. A MOU if you like. More instances like this are not just devastating to the family but damaging to our movement. We should lead governance, not react to it.

3 Likes

Registered just to respond to leroy. I’ve only been hit by a car 1 time on an electric skateboard. I was riding on the sidewalk. Cars don’t see you and are more likely to pull out in front of you. I thought, “I’m going 10mph and on the sidewalk. I don’t need a helmet.” She hit me pulling out of lowes, damaged my first board, an ego, and broke my phone screen that was in my pocket. I bought a gt and now ride on the road, unless i’m willing to walk on the sidewalk. Riding eboards on the sidewalk in Las Vegas is illegal! I wouldn’t ride on a road with cars going 50 miles per hour, without a bike lane. Having cars whizzing by you like that is crazy. I would ride on a road with a 35 speed limit though. Don’t assume that you are safe on sidewalks. You aren’t safe anywhere. Wear a helmet, and if you are on the road and their isn’t a huge shoulder, take the whole lane. E Boards are more difficult to control in a straight line than bikes. Cars will ride up within a foot of your board or bike and if you hit the wrong bump or need to swerve, you will get hit. Take the lane and always check behind you. Either that, or ride on sidewalks and walk across all intersections, because they will not see you and they will run you over.

2 Likes

@Justin, my son and I used to watch Casey’s videos and thats where we got the idea of building our own Eboard. Being from NY and now living in Tampa, FL. its better here to ride an eboard, much safer. I used to watch Casey and sometimes wondered if he was going to crash into a car or a car hitting him, always riding without a helmet and Casey going through red lights.

very smart words , I agree in full ! And I don’t understand why someone is not using a Helmet and the protection … maybe those looking for more kick or I dont know - or they want to challenge Darwins Law.

please dont get me wrong, every injury that can not recover with permanent pain and limitation - is sad and unnecessary ! Any fatality caused by doing something with passion and joy - is one fatality to much - statement in my view

But basic safety gear wearing from us adults can make a statement to kids to stay safe and to show them our life is something worth protect - and having more fun !

HELMETS for E Boards, NOT riding in traffic, learn and know your limits…, ride responsible - Have fun

Holy thread revival!

I thought someone else had died then for a second… So glad to realise not.

don’t scare us like that!

11 Likes