Esk8 Dyno testing

i just spent last hour researching Dyno setups to better understand this setup after reading through this topic earlier when @pbrink asked about it . i get what dyno’s do just not how they specifically worked to collect data. was gonna @MoeStooge ya, cause thought about your rocket ship. also looked like something fun & interesting to put together, and now you just :exploding_head: all over again.

some details/schematics (even hand drawn) of any eSK8 dyno would be sweet to see or knowing @MoeStooge style, it’ll just appear.

anyways AWESOME stuff! i’ll figure it out someday :wink:

1 Like

@MoeStooge

Are you more concerned with the motors and ESC or the drive system as well?

Considering they are RC motors I’ve seen motors run with large propellers for testing. That would test the motor ESC and batteries if you’re able to data log.

I’ve seen a car alternator being used as well to provide resistance.

A friend in college built a dyno for the SAE Baja kart. He used on of these dynos with a roller setup. May be of interest to you all. https://www.dynomitedynamometer.com/kart-dyno/kart-dyno.htm

1 Like

When ever I think of a eSk8 dyno I think of using a set of “track bicycle roller(s)” as a base. Track side we used these to warm up/cool down between sprint events…

random internet video

1 Like

Upsides of the double roller is it takes up less room than a barrel and stabilizes the rear axel. In my mind the barrel roller would allow for rear axel instability. Would give the operator a chance to work on speed wobbles without getting thrown to the ground at 40+… Hmm ?maby a hybrid with a small removable roller in front of the barrel… either way the WR board is going on a Cycle Dyno for some comparative baseline #s for the toolbox.

1 Like

outside the box… how fast can you get a tread mill going? (of course with a few mods)…

-would allow the rider some sway left and right -would introduce incline / decline -handle(s) would give rider quick safe bailout option

transferring balance/weight of rider instead of fixed position

1 Like

Yeah, I like the idea being able to move around on a belt but having the handles for emergencies

These mini dynos are pretty cute.

Not sure if BajaBoard’s one is actually a dyno with any sort of resistance/power measurement; it kind of looks like just a set of rollers.

2 Likes

please-sir-may

DYNO TESTING?

2 Likes

I’m gunna pick this up. A regenerative dyno is perfect for this.

Damn, seems like this thing got put off for a while.

Or whoever made one is using it but just havent published it online.

How do commercial board makers test their boards? I think I saw some vibration etc stands in some videos, not sure about dynos…

For these who still follow threads like this:

I guess this would be a must for every esk8 manufacturer… to test esk8’s road bump durability…

On a side note, seems like most progress made (from published materials on this forum)

Was on this topic:

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/electric-skate-bike-dyno-build/3167

1 Like