Esk8 Engineering Presentation

@ZackoryCramer @e.board_solutions

I linked the presentation so far if you want to take a look. It is in edit in the original post.

I don’t have acces, I would be interesting to have a good presentation others could use aswell :slight_smile:

Fixed. I would be happy to upload the presentation when it is completely finished, the more publicity the better!

1 Like

You should try explain the electronics with the water analogy. Easier for younglings to understand

Battery = bottle of water. High discharge = 1 litre bottle with big cap, low discharge = wine bottle

Current = amount of water passing through Voltage = water pressure Resistance = tight neck or pipe restricting water flow Switch = valve

Motor = water wheel, more pressure (voltage) = more speed. More water (current) = more torque. Low kv = big water wheel, high kv = small water wheel

3 Likes

Voltage, I push that. Resistor, I hold that. Current, I flow that.

:wink:

2 Likes

I fully Disagree with what you’ve said about scooters being safe and longboards Unstable. Here is something me and @Deckoz wrote up about the scooters and longboards,

3 Likes

This is so true. Also the difference between skateboarders and longboarders. Helmets aren’t even a question when it comes to longboarding

1 Like

That does make a lot of sense actually. I will change that. Are scooters more stable than long boards though? There really isn’t much opportunity for speed wobble in a scooter as far as I can tell.

I like that idea. I explained how the motor works using a cat chasing its tail.

Tail=magnetic fields created by stator coils Head=magnets in rotor

1 Like

If you let go of the scooter handles your wheel will make you fly off somewhere, And if you fall from standing position Like holding scooter handles you will have a bigger impact on the ground. these are just some things that are easy to explain. Don’t want to get into the whole topic of how longboard trucks are stable across 4 wheels speed wobbles only occur when riding loose etc.

And why write “smaller wheels=less torque required” I mean Lower gearing, lower motor KV = more Torque, It seems like a desperate attempt to seem smart,

Its not a desperate attempt, the rest is explained later. That was one of the main factors in the decision before even starting research on motors and all that, so I thought it necessary to put it there. I changed the electric vehicles slide to match more with what you are saying.

1 Like

cool dude, Like your build its just like mine just I got 9s higher amperage cells. oh and 25mph+ more like 23mph ( if you use the keda 190kv.).what 8s lipos will you use? If there like 20c then you’ll get voltage sag uphill.

i’ll ask some of my friends (high schoolers) for questions and i’ll share

2 Likes

Thanks! I plan to use Li-Ion cells (10s?p) in the future, and larger wheels for more speed. I use 20c right now. Not many hills in my area, so I opted for the cheaper option right now. DEFINITELY gonna upgrade in the future for that reason.

I plan to do a full build log at some point, just need to get my new vesc… shorted the phase wires…

1 Like

Sounds good! Thanks!

Thank you for making it easier for a 36 yr old man to understand! :expressionless:

Can anyone provide a simple explanation as to how a vesc, or any esc works?

The DRV or whatever drive chip outputs waves into the 3 phase wires of the motor syncing up the electromagnetic forcefields from the stator with the magnets in the rotor. More on that here:

1 Like

Anytime. I’m your #1 source of 15 year old wisdom

1 Like