Here is my review of trampas gear drive with helicals compared to the etoxx gear drive also with helicals. I own both at the moment and have abused both to the point where I can give an honest review. Also looking at mostly positives given that both drives are very well made. Also, Trampa and Jenso are amazing support when your need them, even if you dont buy their products they will help you
Trampa Helical Drive: https://streamable.com/8xc6r - Please ignore the bad filming and just try to listen
- Able to use 9in hubs
- Comes with rock guard
- Carbon mounting panels are slightly lighter
- Just as loud as their straight cut gears (louder than belt drive)
- Less resistance when costing compared to belts
ETOXX Helical Drive:
- SUPER SILENT (much quieter than a belt drive)
- Needs MACHINED trampa truck
- Almost no resistance when costing(did I mention no sound? )
- Easier to install (maybe this is just me )
- 8in hubs only
- More ground clearance compared to trampa
- no motor guard(I like it because it makes the whole drive appear smaller)
- V-ring keeps dust out and seems to fit and seal better than trampas
https://streamable.com/eth2j - Again, try to ignore the camera man’s filming skills(not focused on the drive most of the time)…just to get an idea of the sound and torque this little drive makes.
In the end, IMO E-Toxx has taken the win. Trampas drive and products are all very well made with very durable and good looking materials, but things could still be improved in the way of noise and size.
The extra ground clearance that the ETOXX drive is a game changer for me; someone who constantly rides over large gravel which always used to bottom out on both of Trampas drives(gear and belt). I was also looking for a silent ride with the helicals and got just that with ETOXX.
Stay safe everyone.