Since I am researching alot within the area of law and regulation for our beloved electric longboard, I believe it’s nice and proper to get some useful links and documentation in one spot rather than under my own build. This links is also particularly useful for You who want to try revolutionised our country rules and enforced them to accept / create / make an exception for a portable personal electric vehicle. One other mission of this post is to make clear what are the definition of “Public Road Safety Vehicle”. Hopefully we could learn how to make a public road safe vehicle as well as being able to enjoy what we are doing without being afraid of getting a fine / confiscation of our eBoard and the destruction of our eBoard.
Some of the links here are in Dutch as I am researching from the Netherlands. For sure some who are able to understand could also help post / send link to complete the library.
To begin with I believe this is the holy grail of what is so called EU law of vehicle and vehicle types (long and boring)
However below there are some useful tables that could help us determine what aspect EU are expecting from a safe vehicle.
Note: For this link we can put Electric Longboard into category of Moped L1E - A (Stated by multiple person from RDW)
RDW is an EU - world known vehicle type approval company, their job is to test safety of vehicle.
Maybe some of you ever heard of VIN number:
So here is some info regarding VIN number
Known fact for The Netherlands law within the category of special moped
Link is http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0035848/geldigheidsdatum_05-02-2016
I am placing here some of the most important parameter, some of the rest might not be applicable / we already have it within our electric longboard.
(I will keep this updated, please inform me if I miss something)
- Not more than 25km/h on normal road
- Not more than 6km/h on walking road
- Motor doesn't exceed 4KW
- Have lights front & back
- The light on the front emits no other than white or yellow
- The taillight and brake light rays not unlike red
- Must be older than 16 years old
- Red and yellow / white reflectors
- Have VIN Number (Vehicle Identification Number)
- Dimension no more than: L 2.00m x W 1.10m /li> ---
- Efficient braking system whose deceleration is at least 4.0 m / s
- Fitted with a working steering or a working operating system
- The wheels are equipped with pneumatic tires (We need to equip all terrain wheels)
- The special moped is fitted with a working bell or a functioning horn with fixed pitch
NEW UPDATE thnx to @jarivd
Sadly now its illegal, but it has never been fully legal anyway. So stay safe, cruise in city and open street don’t go beast mode till you hit the park!