Evolve GT | Truck & Bushing Tuning & Handling charateristics

For those that were interested, the middle section of the sidewinder trucks can be removed for the front truck. However it is not possible on the back due to motor clearance. Even if a different base plate was used the motors would still sit under the deck with the stock hanger, therefore motorbite would become an issue.

Also of note the bushings are 55d cheapos from china that @darkydawson recommended. Can’t go wrong for the price.

From these photos you can see the rear hanger does not sit in the base plate as the motors hit the deck first.

1 Like

I’ve managed to dial the stock bushings in and find my board handles great, but I don’t have a reference point with other bushings. I found there is a big difference even with just a 1/4 turn on the truck/ bushing nuts. What ride/ feel difference do you find in the bushing you have there @zoo?

Both the stock 95a bushings and the 55d (approx 100a) bushings I’m using at the moment can be tightened to the point the trucks are quite stiff. So either way the feel can be dialed in basically the same. I actually ride them a little looser now as the way I ride stability has not been an issue and I like to be able to turn sharp. The plus of using hard bushings is they should last longer and I’ve got 8 sets for each truck for the price of 1 evolve bushing set.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. Got it.

Try mounting truck on bottom of deck. Will give another 15mm of clearance for motors.

As can be seen from the second last photo, the hanger still has approx 10mm vertical distance to be seated properly. Then combined with the change of angle once it is seated correctly would push the motors at least another 5mm. So whilst it may just fit, you wont have much room to turn before the board hits the motors.

Also I was doing this to lower the center of gravity for AT setup. I was not too interested in changing the handling of the binding itself so changing where the truck is mounted won’t really help in this case. My next preference would be to keep the trucks as standard but add a riser to the top of the board and get some longer bolts.

BTW guys, the only major noticeable difference between hard bushings including stocks is durability.

The Evolve bushings are fine. After enough kms I find most bushings start to disintegrate. The cheap chinese bushings seem to be the most durable.

Also the latest 55d’s I got (black) seem a little different to my original white ones but I still haven’t noticed any wear. That cheap doesn’t really matter.

Sorry @zoo didn’t notice your older posts mate. Well said.

1 Like

I replaced the stock bushings with RipTide KranK short street barrels 93a maroon color.

I am completely satisfied with it. Tried leaving both bottom and top bushing nut flush with the bolt and could still ride at top speed and still be very carvy. I could not ride that fast with the stock bushings and keep the carvy depth at the same time.

However I did not need it to be that carvy, only enough to navigate 90 degree corners of footpaths is all I needed, so I tightened the board side bushing just a bit and the roadside bushings a very tiny bit and could not be happier with the result.

3 Likes

This thread has “Handling characteristics”, so I am posting about what I assume is the lack of traction control on the Evolve GT’s?

It becomes noticeable when I go near or over 40kmh/25mph, especially on upward slopes. The back side of the board would go along nicely then want to go to the right and then either back to straight or over to the left by varying degrees before going straight again.

Not really a problem with the AT’s, but then it only goes to 35kmh on these things. I know what speed wobbles are and had experienced these when I first start riding, but this is not it.

I have been riding for half a year and have not fell off from this sort of behavior and have gotten used to it. ( just would be nice if this thing would go away ) It is more of the feel of power pushing the back from one side to the other which is what I mean by being more noticeable when going up slopes due to powered wheels pushing against gravity.

Discussing this because this is just my own presumption that the GT’s do not have traction control as opposed to knowing this for certain.

I have read in other threads that traction control generally is not missed if there is none. This is not the case for me, but then perhaps the quote “generally not missed” is for slower boards?

I highly recommend my setup. I weigh 140lbs, but I ride this setup relatively loose, so it will work for heavier riders as well. On the boardside of both kingpins, I have the red RipTide APS barrel bushings with a 95a duro. On the roadside, I have the green RipTide APS Street Series short barrels with 97.5a duro. I have gone 33.5 mph with this setup (very stable) and the bird is still extremely playful at low speeds. I am an experienced longboarder, so I’ve never really had any speed wobble issues, but these feel very stable at high speed and the APS bushings turn 10% - 15% more than other bushings with the same durometer. I have tested with around 6-7 different setups, alternating bushing shapes and duros, and this is by far the best.

4 Likes

I just ordered the same exact bushing setup as Tequilaman. Looking forward to trying it out.

Can you please explain which exactly street bushings were you using?

anyone using @tequilaman’s setup? or has anyone found some other great combinations?