Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

If you need help then please also post Screenshots of your actual setup. That makes it easier. You could also send a pm message if you don’t want to share it with the rest of the world.

Be glad to, just been a busy day. I’ll do it in the morning. Thanks for being so responsive.

I do have a question. How difficult would it be to make the ‘tiles’ configurable? As in placement and size?

Also, I’ll be donating when I get back to work. PayPal has gone nuts on my phone. I thjnkjits in Cyrillic :grin:.

I think this one is a better video. At the end of the video you can see how the VESC overheats. But it regulates itself.

1 Like

There you have some good realtime data. It´s interesting to see the actual amps beeing drawn. People often underestimate how much our boards need when it comes to a small hill and leave their limits too low. You´re often cruising with 15 - 20A and reach 40A batt and 75A motor a few times. So always good to think about that and build a board with hardware capable of higher amps, if you want something with 50 km/h. Well done Ack :wink: I´ll have a few boards running your software next year!

Just came back from my first “longer” run and want to give some constructive feedback:

The data columns in the csv seem a bit weird:

1. time column would probably be clearer when split into date and time
  2. How can I start with WattHours already consumed? First row already shows data for AmpHours, AmpHours charged, WattHours and WattHours charged.
  3. Why does the tachometer values not use the gear ratio and poles to give me actual speed in km/h?
  4. GPS data columns have only zeros filled in - even though location data is allowed.

Some graphs would also be nice so that I don’t have to transfer the csv to my PC every time. And I am still rooting for android wear support - would be awesome to see the battery voltage on my wrist :wink:

1) time column would probably be clearer when split into date and time When you use the charts inside the app you don’t have to worry about it. But i will give it a thought. 2) How can I start with WattHours already consumed? First row already shows data for AmpHours, AmpHours charged, WattHours and WattHours charged. I think you mean to start with fresh data. In this case you have to switch the board off and on. This way the data starts from 0 again. 3) Why does the tachometer values not use the gear ratio and poles to give me actual speed in km/h? Because if you change your gearing ration you will have the correct data. But i will give that also a thought. Because you might want to compare different gearing setups. So it would make more sense to save the speed. 4) GPS data columns have only zeros filled in - even though location data is allowed. That is strange. Please check if you switched on your GPS and that it locates your GPS position by the GPS symbol in the smartphones status bar.

How do I use the charts inside the app? I can only find the button to change the default folder.

Just click on a CSV file.

I don’t see any files inside the folder.

Then please press the disk icon to set this folder as the default folder. it should be the VESCMonitor folder on your device. And did you give the app the rights to write on the disk or did you disallow it.

but that is the folder I have set as default - and it appears to be empty even though there are csv files inside.

What am I doing wrong? Permissions are set it is also weird that the OSX android file transfer app does not see the newly created files the file explorer app on my phone can see (look at the files from today 27th of december)

I just reeased a new version. Please install this one and create a new csv file by logging some data and ry it again. the upload at google takes a while but i made it also available at my dropbox link. I also added the change for the speed in the CSV file so that the speed is logged instead of the rpm. And also instead of the tachoABS data the distance is now available.

1 Like

was it a bug or did I do something stupid? Will test it tomorrow. Thanks for the quick update :thumbsup:

I am not sure if you had the latest version. At my phone it works without issues. I hope it was a old version.

I don’t think the ERPM is being changed by the app. Screenshots of the mode settings, and ss of three modes all topping at exactly 21.4 mph. Is there something overriding it or is it not affected by the app?

I do believe the watts are being set, as it “feels” more powerful, and the watts go up on the monitor, although higher than set. Probably just a quick spike though, nothing sustained. I would like to be able to set the ERPM so I could actually hand it to a beginner and limit top speed.

I will have a look at it

1 Like

I have good and bad news for you. Good thing is that the speed get’s limited. You can test that by setting extreme values and test it on the bench. So what happens. I set a soft ERPM limit in the PPM setup. But when i read the values to display it in the APP i read the Motor Max ERPM which i don’t change. So finally it is working but you see the wrong value in the app. Will change that in the future but sadly you need a new Firmware file for that. So i hope you can live with that bug. But you can be sure that when you see that the new selected mode is activated that also the speed limit is set.

OK, so the ERPM setting in the modes changes the soft ERPM on the PPM tab

I have it set on the tab as ERPM limit start 35000 and ERPM limit end 36000. {for the basic turn it on and go setup}

Does the app change both, or should the limit end be set to 60000? (I feel like I’m soing something wrong here)

oh and the bug is fine, not sure where it shows in the app anyway, just so i know what i am changing.

The app changes 3 values. It sets the ERPM limit end to the selected ERPM from the app. Then it sets the ERPM limit start to 4 % less than then the value from the app. And it sets the PID max ERPM value to the same value as in the App so that the cruise control is also working at the same max speed.

So if you set for example 25000 ERPM in the app then the values will be ERPM limit end 25000 ERPM limit start 24000 PID max ERPM 25000

The motor settings max ERPM will stay as default becasue it is already limited by the PPM settings.

Awesome, thanks. Now that I have the BLDC tool connected, I can see the values change.