Featherweight | Vanguard | FVT(died) Hobbywing Max 6 | 6S LIPO | Caliber 2 | Keda 230kv

Found some spare time so I went to work upgrading my fallen vanguard.

Running a Hobbywing Max 6 at 6 s with the same multistar 6s batteries in parallel. Keda 230kv motor from hobbyking, 15/34 ratio with an ebay motor pulley and evolve bustin wheel pulley. 77mm Bustin swifts 82a Motor mount from @fedestanco :slight_smile: I have a better enclosure from @Dunkirk which I will mount once I have everything settled.

Running 6s and happy with that performance - 1km better than weighted performance calc. This is actually performing much better than my other vanguard with 10s vesc and enertion 6355. That thing is really sluggish in comparison. Hardly makes it up my driveway :confused: Am using the same vesc settings as my tesseract but this thing is boring. Iā€™ll throw on the other APS 3kw and see how it goes. The brakes are noisy, but I donā€™t mind, lets people know Iā€™m coming!

Hit the brake like a bell if people running stupidly in front of me! Works everytime :monkey:

Where did you get your fvt from? Did it have sensor ports on it or not?

Alsoā€¦ it looks like it does not have that extra capacitor which some models does haveā€¦ the extra cap is located outside of the main enclosureā€¦

Not sure what your original settings wereā€¦ I only assmume it could have been motor timing or acceleration setting, that set it into uncomfortable scenarioā€¦

got the fvt from fleabay, it was sensored, but my motor isnā€™t. Thanks for the tip about the cap, any idea what size? In retrospect, I think I remember the thermal overload cutting out, then I guess the motor acted as a generator and fried it like bacon.

1 Like

itĀ“s not really recommended to use sensors on our common 6s esc. They have some problems with the signal and are getting less reliable if you use them this way.

haha this made me laugh ! What do you mean with thermal overload - overheating?

Im not quite sure, it seems to be in the same as the original onesā€¦ I would go with something similar to vesc sized capsā€¦ but it seems caps are required more if you intend to run long wires to the battery!

Mine is ā€˜ā€˜hiddenā€™ā€™ in a heatshrink, so i cannot really tell you how big it isā€¦ On a side note:

Mine also has no sensor port. Either they have removed it completely (on my 3 cap version!) or it is not accesible from the outside! ā€¦ thereā€™s just a rectangular shaped outlineā€¦ but the plastic is all monogamousā€¦ without any holes.

Yeh, thanks for reminding! I Remember someone mentioniong that it was jerking or just heating the motor or smth. I think in vesc, the sensored mode is also turned off at some level of erpmā€¦ where with these you get less speed and less efficiency because of the reason it is somewhat run all the time.

Well, mine does not have that sensor port anyways! Maybe they removed this for the very same reason! :smiley:

Yeah they have a overtemp cutout, Iā€™m pretty sure this triggered just before the black smoke escaped. Runs soooo much better with the max6, itā€™s still at 6s atm, am working on an 8s li-ion battery to boost it even more :slight_smile:

anywaysā€¦ interesting ā€˜ā€˜exampleā€™ā€™ i do wonder what really triggered for it to overheatā€¦ u were not riding any hills right? just plain straight / flat surface?

Haha - Iā€™m too fat for 6s ! :stuck_out_tongue:was a slight incline. not much

um, was it also hard to start the boardā€¦ like - did it struggle to start going ? ā€¦ though who knowsā€¦ maybe you just got some weird short / overloadā€¦ thatā€™s all :smiley:

It did struggle a bit, I push start anyway but yes, it did labour a bit. The board was never intended for me being 6s. Was going to be for my fiance. Unfortunately the next day the second one turned up and I was going to try dual. Never got the chance.

ah, too badā€¦ it probably was meant to be driven dual driveā€¦ but you just over loaded the poor single esc :smiley:

Hereā€™s how it ended up - hobbywing max 6, 8s3p LGHE2ā€™s Keda 230kv Bustin swift 83mmā€™s @fedestanco mount @Dunkirk Enclosure 3D printed cable riser for the motor connections at the back truck.
Hobbywing escā€™s are rock solid. I know now why e-toxx uses them for his e-mtb builds. A dual with these things would be a monster !

Off to a new home @overint

4 Likes