Fibreglass moulded enclosures. UK-EU?

Started making another mould to make another enclosure to fit the landyachtz deck I’ve just got. The mould I made first time was made for a deck with a very different shape to this one so, I made an enclosure from the existing mould then cut it down to fit the contour of the new deck. I stuck it down to the deck on tape then waxed it up and added a fillet of wax around the edge. The blue bit is the first coat of gel to make the mould. I’ve now got the first coat of fibreglass on the mould so I’ll build it up to thickness on Monday. Possibly get the first new enclosure out of the mould a little later in the week. For this build I’m thinking of using 5x 2s lipos with a BMS which should fit in perfectly.

4 Likes

Bookmarked! I’m slowly gearing up for second build - twin focbox 10s lipos build and bms. I shall be knocking on your door next month or so :wink:

Hey, Im in the process of making a fiberglass enclosure. Ive got my wooden shape made but im kinda confused about the order of making the final enclosure. I know if I covered the wood with fibreglass the inside would be smooth and the outside rough… so, am I suppose to make a fibreglass mould from the wood, then use that mould to make the final part (as the shape has now inverted)? OR, is the mould made from that blue stuff then the fibreglass is put into that?

Hi, What I do is, once I have the wood shape I coat it in a a primer. Then rub it down and polish it to a high gloss. This is the finish you will have on your enclosure so the more time you take with this the better! Then wax it with mould release wax 6 times or so with an hour in between coats. Then you see the blue stuff which is just gelcoat and layers of fibreglass which makes the mould. After that you can make an enclosure from your mould. It’s a long process! Good luck. Send me some photos if you can, I’d be interested to see them. Cheers Ben

3 Likes

Im looking for an enclosure thats 465mm max. Im in UK and Ive tried kydex… heatgun not ideal. Crinkled corners. Pretty crap looking. Ive also bought 3 different planter trays. Ive looked all over and Im kinda struggling to find anything I can use/buy. Ill have a 10s4p in there with a small BMS and single VESC. I cant believe this is the hardest part of the build! lol.

I’ve PM’ed you. Here is my instagram page. Maybe a bit of inspiration there? https://www.instagram.com/bbenclosures/

2 Likes

PM’d ya back!

Anyone looking for a landyachtz 9two5 deck there’s and absolute bargain here. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162795732751 Would go nicely with the 30mm enclosure made to fit this deck.

y

5 Likes

That is a bargain fully built! …Mine “just the deck” was just shy of a ton! Looks even sexier now with your enclosure attached! :wink:

I think that is just the deck. I thought they were closer to 150 for the decks normally?

Can you send me se pics of your molds this is very nice

Hi, Here is my instagram where there are a few more photos of some of the stuff I’ve done. Cheers Ben https://www.instagram.com/bbenclosures/

2 Likes

Awesome enclosure, pretty sure it would survive being run over by a car. The rest of the deck wouldn’t survive mind :smiley:

It’s Bens low profile enclosure, was able to squeeze in 2 x 5000mah 3S and AlienPowerSystems ESC all inside.

2 Likes

There are so many things I want to ask about in this picture…

What made you choose to mount everything up front? Have you had any issues with the insanely long phase wires?

I leave it at that, Interesting build, kudos.

Fyi those are @TranxFu designs for the Icarus :wink: so it’s his own work he’s asking you to mold.

Batteries are mounted up front to distribute the weight for carrying.

Not have any side effects of having long phase wires so far, what sort of issues do people tend to have with them?

i don’t think long ass phase wires are a problem in our application. if so, i’m gonna be fucked :wink:

1 Like

The braid I used should be capable of 120A, so throughput shouldn’t be a problem.

Long phase wires lead to desyncs…

However the lower the kv the longer the phase wires can be as the delta is larger because the bell spins slower. It also depends on the refresh rate of the esc… A 1000hz esc will desync alot easier then a 32khz esc…

3 Likes

I dont know of any that have been specifically proven, I have heard of people having DRV issues on the VESC with long phase wires.