Filming a documentary need help build an Esk8

This is backwards

series will increase your speed, but the same battery total watthours configured more in parallel will get you pretty close to the same range you could charge super fast so you donā€™t have to wait and can keep weight down. . get a charger that could do maybe 3000watts and probably get lifopo cells. bigger but you can charge fast and more safely and wont have to worry. and the two big motors. and run vesc FOC program so you donā€™t have to hear them whine. http://www.evassemble.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=20&zenid=ohejp51if9v8c4q66fc2jh37s0 charge rate of 80 amps max stated!! at 50 voltsā€¦4000 wattsā€¦but theyre overrated and 3000 be conservative! do the trip in a day.

So should I get some thing like this?

collections/esc-speed-controller-accessories/products/vesc-usb-programmer-stlinkv2

Shouldnā€™t need to if you have diyelectricskateboard Vescā€™s. They come preloaded with a boot loader.

Not sure why you wouldnā€™t go with flipsky Vescā€™s though as they seem to be more reliable if you go with 6.6 derivatives

Very interesting discussion about motor sizesā€¦ As I said, 6355 should be fine.

1 Like

This is fantastic man. Great stuff! Hopefully we can rally round and make it a trip to remember. Just asked the mods to help with getting some local guys out to show support on the way.
Guys look at the itinerary and tag anyone you know in each place and lets get amongst it! I will be in England at that time and hopefully catch you at some point.
Good luck with the trip and getting some awareness out there!

1 Like

Just to be sure before you buy everything. 3 x 4s 16000mAh Lipo battery, yes it will give you 12s1p but itā€™s not correct to say that the capacity also increase. So it would still be 16000mAh which is a lot but not 48000mAh as @Jake2k17 mentioned. To increase range (capacity) you need to increase the p group (parallel), if you increase the voltage (s group series) you donā€™t gain capacity. Good project BTW! Respect!

3 Likes

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but you have flywheels and kegel pulleys. Youā€™ll need flywheel pulleys

1 Like

Since u seem to be planning to take airports, I think u need to plan ahead that u will have to deal with airport security and basically the only way how to bring larger size lithium batteries, is to bring them with u in cabin.

There are a few discussions about this, but basically smaller size modules, which u can connect and disconnect are the bestā€¦

Also not sure which roads u plan to travel but I would probably go with small size pneumatic wheel setup, it might kill some range but will definately improve the ride comfort and help face the obstacles.

Other than that wish u luck on finishing build, theres quite a planning ahead of u, if u wish to partake this :slight_smile:

Ive considering going hitchiking around Eu with eboard but ive always stuck with idea I might need to take 2x every part as replacement, if something goes badā€¦

Few guys I met with ebikes said it is not a problem to find where to charge up batteries, so I guess I would be more inclined to make it durable.

But why make a giant battery when it looks like u will be charging periodically and not needing it. And why not go with a smaller high power battery such as quite the headway red cells where u could charge at a stated 80 amps, super fast.

I would also recommend a pneumatic wheel setup. Especially if you are unfamiliar with some of the riding locations.

Havenā€™t read through the whole thread, but I did read your part list.

You prioritization should not be power or speed, but range and reliability.

I would suggest against the Multistar batteries, since their price/performance is abysmal versus what else you can buy/assemble. A 12S5P Samsung 25R setup will offer you 550 Watt Hours at a fraction of the cost and at half the weight. Even though a 25R pack will have 20% less capacity than the Multistar, that should get you 30 miles, no problem.

I would just run with Zealous bearings instead of the Bones Reds. Theyā€™re well made, and have built in spacers and speedrings that make wheel swapping/maintenance a lot easier.

For motor mounts, I would suggest motor mounts with idler pulleys, since this will improve your capability to coast your board, and thus preserve power.

Avoid using a mosfet switch. Mosfets can give out on you, and if they do, thatā€™s game over for your trip. Use a simple XT90 Anti Spark loop key.

For wheels, I would suggest ABEC 11ā€™s thane, or Orangatangā€™s happy thane.

For the motor controller, DO NOT get the TB ESC. Definitely donā€™t get the TB VESC either. Those 2 ESCs are known to fry rather easily due to a numerous amount of reasons. You should be avoiding 4.12 VESC hardware. Go straight to VESC6 hardware.

Edit: I read through the thread. 6374 motors reliable enough for your case. The brand that you buy has a larger impact on the motorā€™s reliability. TB motors are okay, but I would suggest spending the extra bit of cash on @JLabsā€™s stuff, since they seem very well made versus TBā€™s motors. No hard feelings here for TBā€™s stuff, but Iā€™ve quite a few TB motors break down. The sample size might heavily affect my analogy, but that is for you to decide.

2 Likes

how do you like a comment more than once

1 Like

Could I do a 12s5p samsung setup to get me the 30 miles, and then do a 12s3p as a back up just incase so i dont get stranded? 12s3p would get me 20 miles?

What is different about a pneumatic wheel set up?

Any recommendations on VSEC6 hardware?

ALSO, THANK YOU EVERYONE SO MUCH. Im just now able to respond due to reaching my limit last night on how much i could post for my first day!

Also, I updated the board construction with a VESC 6, and new wheel pully.

Burly%20ride%20logo

Also, designing a website, created a logo, and actually gave the project a name.

a good idea would be to use the 12s5p, and then use a box of some description and build one of these:

My mate @anon42702729 is building them and using MultiStars as the source. Its basically a power bank for esk8ā€™s

why does it only charge at 4a though and with lipo could do it much faster. but then youd be carrying around lipos and a booster in your bag.

these with 3p and you could charge at 30amps. and be done charging up to 80% inā€¦like 15 minutes. and then youd have like 6 amp hours and could do 20 more miles. break for 15 minutes to charge. continue.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2000W-48V-40A-Regulator-LED-switching_60073941553.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.88.446522eeNIRc60&s=p

to each there own but id rather be skating a lot instead of sitting around a charger. and save bucks with a skipped bms and this relatively cheap power supply.

1 Like

I really donā€™t wanna charge my 10s4p pack with more than 4A. Also, this is continuously charging while riding! Lipo, step-up and other bits an pieces mounted to the deck, between the legs or onto the rear truck base plate. Technically, I could get high capacity, low discharge 18650 cells and ditch the lipo which do the same job and I donā€™t have to be afraid of a lipo living in my apartment :slight_smile:

1 Like